Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
My church lady contact has asked for some specific images for a project she is working on. She even invited me to, "put on your creative hat and be arty!"

Boy, this is as hard as Make Art Monday or as Show your imagination. Now I gotta think of something more interesting than my usual "enhanced snapshots of people". The good news is that I'm not tied to a schedule. When I shoot outdoor activities I'm always stuck with the church schedule --- usually right after the 9:00 AM Sunday service which puts me outside between 10:30 and 11:00. Lousy conditions and harsh face shadows (even after fill flash).

I was happy with my results yesterday and this morning. These are SOOC, all shot w/daylight WB. The first two at 1/30th, the last at 1/125th and all at f/8.
The Golden Hours.jpg
The Golden Hours.jpg (198.13 KiB) Viewed 1581 times

As soon as I got there a little after 5 PM I realized I was way too early. Shot anyway and went back again two hours later. I wasn't even going to bother to shoot this sculpture because it faces east and I knew it would be better in the morning. I went ahead anyway to have some comparison pictures.

I just love what the warm morning light did to the bronze. I somehow had the idea that morning light and evening light were equally "warm". NOTE: I screwed something up and the time setting in my camera EXIF setting is off by one hour. I was really there at six-thirty, AND, the other two times are also an hour off.

I think that would have been even better if I had dragged myself out of bed to make is shortly after five. Old retired guys just don't get moving that early -- at least I don't! If that sculpture faced west, maybe the evening shots would have been as good as what I saw in the morning. Don't know.

I do most of my shooting late in the day 'cause that fits my sleep patterns. I guess I'll have to make an effort to get going early, real early, for the right subjects.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, the 5:30 one looks ok to me.

In terms of waking up early i'm with you. the other day a guy call me to take a photo for a music album of a clock tower and he needed it to be at 6:30 AM I told him I will take the picture at 6:30 PM or he will have to find another photographer :rotfl: To make a long story short I did not took the job. I hate to wake up before 7am :rotfl: BTW I'm not yet retired but I'm in my way :rotfl:
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Great shots! And I'm a morning person... LOL I get up at 5am everyday. Love to leave a bit early before work and grab some 6am shots on the way.. heheh.. Of course.. I'm quite fond of sunset light too.. The quality of both light are wonderful but they are different. Morning light is softer while sunset is typically more dramatic I find. :-) Nice thing about daybreak is that you have enough like to see but with a low strenth fill flash you get a 'night shot' effect.

Attachments

Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
Rusty,
A perfect demonstration of just how the color of light changes throughout the day and how it affects your subject.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
4 posts Page 1 of 1