Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
24 posts Page 2 of 3
Congrats on your new camera! I hope you enjoy it!
Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
MichelB wrote:
Tina_B wrote: WEll I did it! I went out and purchased the D40 and now the questions will start. I hope I did the right thing. :woohoo: I have to wait for the battery to charge so I can begin to play. I will be lost for sure so all you D40 uers be ready for this old grandma to start asking questions.

Tina B
Can I open raw in PSE 5 ?

You'll have to download the ACR version 4.5
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=3943

have a look at the installation notes and ask if there is a problem.

I have downloaded the ACR version 4.5 so now where does it go?
I have Windows vista
I read the instructions from the download site and I was lost.
Tina B
Here is what you need to do in order to install ACR in to PSE in Windows:

What is not mentioned here is that you first need to unzip the file you downloaded to get to the Camera Raw.8bi file inside it. I don't use Vista, but you may be able to just right click the zip file you downloaded, then extract the file to a temporary directory to copy per the instructions below. If right clicking the file doesn't work, you can download WinRAR for free from CNET.com here.

1. Exit Photoshop Elements.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
4. Navigate to Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your
desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop Elements

That should do it. Holler back if you have any more questions.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Tina, that is not the camera you need it to buy what you needed is the Nikon D3X :biggrin: :rotfl:

Ok, seriously now if you ever need a wide angle my suggestion will be the Sigma 10-20 I have it and it is my favorite lens. An all aroubd lens will be the 18-200 VR nikon or the Sigma version. Sigma make very fine optics at reasonable prices.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Gene
step 4 is where I have a question it says PSE 6 does this mean it will not work in PSE5. I have moved the files and go to start Elements again and it will not start. If I put the original file back in it starts. Can I just use th file that is there ? if so where in elements do I find it so I can open it? I may be in over my head here.
Help
Tina B
ok I tried again and this time it works. I found that :rotfl: I needed some raw photos for the darn thing to open :rotfl: . Imagine that.
Now can I save those raw photos from my sd card just like I do the others? I usually open them and save them to my photos or do I need to use the organizer?
Tina
Glad you got it figured out. I think (but am not sure) that the Organizer can work with the RAW files just like it does your JPG files. I haven't used the Organizer in a long time, so I am not sure about that. One thing to note if you aren't already aware of it, is that your RAW files will remain unchanged. When you actually open the picture into the main Editor after doing whatever enhancements you perform in RAW, a new copy will be created when you actually save your work. The original RAW will remain.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Downloading Raw files through the Organizer should be no problem - and you'll know that you've got the latest version of Camera Raw if you can see the images there.
When you open a Raw file from Organizer (or the Editor) it will open up in ACR. (You can open up a few at a time and make the same adjustments to all of them). Do your adjustments in there and just click on "Open Image". At this point, ACR will create an xmp file to accompany your Raw - it's known as the 'sidecar' file and contains all the changes you've just made to the Raw, so if you want your Raw file to stay the same as when you put it through ACR you're going to have to keep that xmp file in the same folder as the Raw.

Do your editing, if you like, but you're then going to have to save the file in another format - you cannot save as a Raw. I usually keep my image in PSD format and treat it as the Master file. You could also save it in the much larger TIFF format. Either PSD or TIFF can save your layers for you, but they are large files. However, don't be tempted to reduce the quality/size by saving as Jpeg just yet.... make individual Jpegs from the PSD/TIFF for individual purposes. If you just close the Raw it will go back to as it was when it came out of ACR, as long as the xmp file is with it.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Wow, thanks for all this good information. I knew if I asked some questions the experts would answer for me. I am still learning and this is so good. I needed something new to spark some new interest in my hobby again.
Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming because I do not know the questions to ask.
Tina B
dondiego wrote: Tina, that is not the camera you need it to buy what you needed is the Nikon D3X :biggrin: :rotfl:

Ok, seriously now if you ever need a wide angle my suggestion will be the Sigma 10-20 I have it and it is my favorite lens. An all aroubd lens will be the 18-200 VR nikon or the Sigma version. Sigma make very fine optics at reasonable prices.

Don
Did you say you wnated to send me the D3x!! :rotfl: ?
This is a big move for me and now I have the task of learning all the things I can do with it.
Tina B
24 posts Page 2 of 3