Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
I was wondering which is the group favorite plug-in for Photoshop Elements or /and CS3.
I love Photomatic and Nik Silver Efex Pro and now considering Topaz.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
I know this one is 'old news' but there are a few filters in Virtual Photographer that I just couldn't do without. :bigwink: Topaz has some great effects but VP wins with me as far as having filters I use often in my everyday work.
Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
Right now for me it is Topaz but am really interested in the Nk silver one
Like most of you, I am curious to test various plug-ins. Since I spend much more time in correcting and enhancing than in creative activities, I find myself using and loving mostly ptlens and smartcurves.

Ptlens
In recent PSE versions, there is a lens correction tool which is ok for me in many cases. I appreciate the simplicity of distortion, perspective and vignetting correction. The latter is very useful for creative vignettes! However, ptlens is much better in correcting complex distortion in wide angle lenses, and it is automatic and works in 16 bits. The unique advantage is correcting CA (chromatic aberration) which is only available to PS users in ACR.

Smartcurves
Don't take the following as something which you should do, or which would be very useful to you; there are many ways to achieve an effect in PSE or CS. I am not a fan of curves, simply because I learned to do without them, especially using gradient map layers and layer modes plus masks. However, smartcurves (Windows only) has a lot of advantages for me. It does work in 16 bits. It can be used to save and load curves presets (Grant's tools do that for Mac). Its unique feature is the ability to work in other modes, such as L*a*b or HSB/HSL. It has unique histograms (saturation for instance). I do use it mostly as a tool for analyzing pictures and testing how to tweak different color properties. It has been a huge help for me to understand those properties and color modes.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michelle, how much virtual photographer cost?

Susan, you MUST have Nik Silver you will love it.

Mitchel, thanks for your imput.
Shalom,
Don
Don Diego, it is FREE. Best price going
At that price it is a MUST Have :woohoo:
Shalom,
Don
Yep!!
Question, how do you like the Nik silver plug-in???? Is it worth it??
dondiego wrote: At that price it is a MUST Have :woohoo:

You got it!
Michelle K.
My Gallery

PSE 5-6, CS3
Sony DSC H1, Canon Powershot A590 IS
Besides those already mentioned, one of my favorite plugins is OnOne Software's PhotoFrame4 for edges and frames. It's kind of pricey but I was able to upgrade from an old version of Extensis PhotoFrame to PhotoFrame3 -- which made it affordable.

Also, I just noticed that OnOne is offering a FREE lite version of PhotoTools2 - which is another of their products. I just downloaded but haven't installed or used yet. Here's a brief note about it from the website:

"OnOne Software's PhotoTools2 Lite
Free Photographic Effects Plug-In for Photoshop

* 14 free photographic effects in an easy-to-use Photoshop plugin
* Add and combine multiple effects with just a few clicks - no training required
* Preview effects with ease using Before-After view
* Plug-in works with Photoshop CS2, CS3 & CS4"

There is also a video and samples of the effects.

Here's the link to the free download (name & email required): http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=39

Oh, did I say, it is FREE! :woohoo:
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
14 posts Page 1 of 2