Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
14 posts Page 2 of 2
Thanks Geoff, Chuck and Lowbone for the additional input -- all very good points to consider.

Geoff & Chuck - I totally agree that the addition of video on the GH1 is not worth it. I don't use the video on my FZ8 and already have a Sony video camera (which I don't use too often either). B&H has the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 with 2 lenses (14-45mm & 45-200mm) for $899 or the G1 with one lens (14-45mm) for $699. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 with 14-140mm Lens is listed for $1499! From the reviews, it doesn't seem that there is much difference between the two cameras other than the video.

Chuck - From what I have read, the target audience for the G1 is P&S or DSLR-like users who would like to move up to a DSLR but have resisted because of the size and weight of the cameras. I agree that price won't be a big factor and there probably won't be many converts from those that already have DSLRs. The size and weight of any of the DSLRs are a deal-breaker for me.

Lowbone - I currently have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 which is just slightly smaller than the G1. It's a perfect size for me but I can see how it might not be comfortable in larger hands.

Lowbone & Chuck - I think it is a matter of where you are coming from (equipment-wise) on the EVF versus OVF issue. For me, only having used cameras with electronic viewfinders, I won't miss an optical viewfinder.

Again, thank you very much for the input.
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
Well, I went to Wolf Camera today, to actually "hold" the G1. The size and weight are very nice. It's only slightly larger and heavier (with the 14-45mm lens) than my current Panasonic Lumix FZ8. The additional weight actually gives it a more solid feel. I took a few pictures with my FZ8 and then with the G1 (I brought along a memory card) but couldn't get a true comparison because the settings on the camera were so messed up from people playing with the camera.

Unfortunately, the salesman was useless. He knew absolutely nothing about the camera and proceeded to read the features listed on the sign to me. :doh: I asked him for a price on the camera (includes the 14-45mm lens) plus the matching 45-200mm lens. He went to "look it up" and came back with the list price. I asked if that was their best price since it was the full MSRP. His reply was "that's what the book says." :doh: I then handed him the camera back and told him that he wouldn't be selling too many of them since internet prices are about $250 less at B&H and Amazon! I'm not completely decided yet. It's still expensive even at the best price.

I've read all the reviews from the major sites including steve's-digicams, dpreview, dcresource and cameralabs. Anyone have any other favorite camera review sites for me to check out before I decide?
Amy

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
2cairns wrote: I've read all the reviews from the major sites including steve's-digicams, dpreview, dcresource and cameralabs. Anyone have any other favorite camera review sites for me to check out before I decide?

Here is another one:
http://www.photozone.de/dslr_reviews/424_panasonic_g1
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Thanks for the link Michel -- I'll give it a read!
Amy

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
14 posts Page 2 of 2