Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
Anyone have the G1 or looked into it? It looks interesting to me because of the smaller size (not much larger than my Panasonic Lumix FZ8) but DSLR qualities (CMOS sensor versus CCD). The lenses available at this time are somewhat limited but I think they came out with 2 late last year when the camera was introduced and 2 this year when the GH1 (with video capabilities and a much higher price tag) was introduced.

Here's a link to a review at Dpreview if anyone else in interested: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
Amy, I had already read this review. One thing it says is it will feel good for Panasonic FZ users, and that is very important. This is the first of a new kind of camera, and if you find the handling and size good for you, you certainly will be able to get much better results, you'll have access to raw, low light capability and lens interchangeability. I believe the present lens range is enough, and the future 25mm f:1.7 should be a superb fix focal (I'd also love the Zuiko 25mm f:2.8 pancake!)
The question is rather to choose between this excellent choice or rather go towards entry levels DSLRs.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Thanks for your input Michel. The Panasonic Lumix FZ8 does have RAW capability and although the Leica lens is very good, it is not very good at all in low light situations or for action/sports. I would, however, really miss the built-in 15x zoom lens.

Maybe I shouldn't be thinking about this as a "replacement", but an "addition" until they come out with longer four-thirds lenses for the G1. The size & weight is what draws me to the G1 and turns me away from a full DSLR.
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
You are absolutely right; first because you already have got an excellent lens and only the size of the sensor is limiting your low light abilities; second because I feel the same as you about the two cameras being complementary. I have just given my G6 to my daughter. It was an excellent tool with different uses than my 20D. Now I am testing my wife's Sony DSC H50 and its performance in the telephoto range is impressive (I'll post a few samples). Really, I don't need to invest in a new telezoom. Most of my shots are in the normal/wide range, but the H20 might change my views on telelenses...

Edit: it is the DSC H50...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
DSC00754_edited-1.jpg
DSC00754_edited-1.jpg (160.2 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

Just to give an idea of test I ran yesterday at the 'Foire du trône' (largest entertainment fair in Europe, they say). Equivalent focal: 436 mm, 1/800th, ISO 160. The apparatus was rotating full speed at about 30 meters: the moon crescent gives the scale. Very lucky to catch this after several tries, with the EVF, impossible to frame with the back LCD display! No crop, slight adjustments.
Michel B

Mes Galeries
Excellent result, Michel,
really impressive.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
According to DPReview..... "Where the G1 - and Micro Four Thirds - has the edge is that there has never been a wider gap between the image quality offered by compact cameras and SLRs. By offering a camera that works and handles like a compact (Panasonic FZ users will feel right at home) but produces output a lot more like an SLR, Micro Four Thirds has carved out a potentially lucrative niche for itself in a market crying out for innovation. It may seem like a relatively low-key product to herald a minor revolution in the digital SLR market, but have no doubt, the G1 is one of the most interesting products we've had under this roof for quite some time."

The newer version is the Panasonic DMD GH1... but it's twice the price and I really can't see much different except the addition of HD video - and another $600 is a lot to pay for just that.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Panasonic and, reportedly, Olympus will have the micro 4/3rds niche to themselves for a while. G1 price with 2 lenses is pretty close to what you'd pay for an entry-level Nikon or Canon with one lens, so I don't believe the G1 is going to lure customers based on price. It will be performance in a highly compact system that will make this format successful - or not. Many/most of the early adopters are very satisfied with their decision to be on the leading edge.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
I member of my photo club brought one to a meeting last week. While I like the concept of not having a mirror and feel that this might be the way of the future I found the electronic viewfinder to be very inferior to a current DSLR with a mirror. It jumped around allot and was totally unreliable in low light. I found it almost impossible to gain a reliable manual focus with this viewfinder. From a personal standpoint I could not find a way to comfortably hold this camera as my hands are large. I have the same problem with my Canon G9. While I think this camera will appeal to allot of folks I think for me it is a fish out of water. Making a camera smaller is nice but if it is not small enough to fit in a pocket then you will have the same situation that you have with a full sized camera, a camera around your neck or a gadget bag over your shoulder
I was going to edit my post on the subject to include concerns about an electronic viewfinder (EVF) vs. optical viewfinder (OVF). Lowbone beat me to it - with very valuable hands-on experience. I had one camera with an EVF and I hated it; sounds like the technology still leaves much to be desired.

Form factor is important; I've downsized recently from the Canon 40D to the 450D, but that's probably as low as I'd go. It's so important to handle a camera before buying, and that's becoming more difficult as bricks-and-mortar camera stores become extinct and electronics superstores focus on the most popular models to the exclusion of "enthusiast" cameras from brands other than Canon and Nikon.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
14 posts Page 1 of 2