Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
20 posts Page 2 of 2
Tina, I have the 70/300 for canon and love it. It is my most used lens
Tina,

I bought a Canon 18-200 lens last fall and it is on my camera all the time. I used to go on shootouts with my 17-85 and one other lens (100mm Macro, 70-200mm or 100-400) and found I was changing lenses all the time. With the 18-200 it covers almost all the ranges and it is a really decent macro lens also.

Getting ready for a shoot out and will probably go with the 18-200 and the 100-400.

But I love the 18-200! :love:

Edit,

I don't know if thus applies to the Nikon, but with my Canon 30D, all of these lenses except the 100-400 and the 100 Macro are rated as EF-S and cannot ever be used if I ever decided to upgrade to a full size frame/sensor camera module.

Not a problem now and can't ever see it happening! :thumbsup:
John
John, are you saying the 100 macro can't be used on the 5D mark 11???? I didn't know it was an EF-S. That lens was on my xmas list. Off to check that out, I am going to bummed if it is.
John, this is the 100 macro I am talking about, it is not an EF-S, whew

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
100 mm macro is not an EF-S lens. Not to worry, Susan!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Oops, said one, then read the labels, and indicated the two, didnt catch the boob.

I tend to think that all Prime lenses from Canon - i.e. fixed focal length - are EF lenses and are safe for the full frame cameras from Canon.
John
jlwilm wrote:
I tend to think that all Prime lenses from Canon - i.e. fixed focal length - are EF lenses and are safe for the full frame cameras from Canon.

John, I think the only Canon prime that's in the EF-S category is the 60 mm EF-S macro. All the others are zooms (10-22, 17-55, 17-85, 18-55, 55-250, 18-200).
Chuck
Oops@2

Yeah, that one also.

Point being, if this scenario applies to Nikon(ers), find out and plan your buys.

I was kind of naive when I bought, just thinking of what I had, not where I wanted to go. When I found out that there was an issue, I sat down and thought it out and decided that it didn't matter, I was perfectly happy with the EFS type cameras - 30D, 40D, and the one I plan to get on the trailing edge, the 50D - sooner or later. :chickendance:
John
I've bought only one EF-S lens - the 10-22 mm - for my 40D. I thought briefly about the limitation, but came to the conclusion that it was highly unlikely I would ever buy a full-frame camera. As it turns out , instead of moving up to a full-frame 5D, I've downsized to the XSi instead. My investment in the S lens is safe! :D
Chuck
In regards to Nikon lenses, the DX type are not the full frame lenses, but in some instances they can still be used on a full frame camera. The D700/D3/D3x all have a DX mode that comes in to play if you use a DX lens on it You also get a corresponding reduction in pixel count of the final shot as compared to using a full frame (FX) style lens. For example, the D700 in DX mode produces a shot that is 2784x1848 in full res, while in FX mode the shots are 4256x2832.

And I have used FX lenses on my D70s and D300 with no problems.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
I don't understand the caution about Canon efs lenses. Some of them are excellent. If you go full frame you can always sell them, or buy used and then sell. After reading the different forums and seeing all of the people who say " don't get the efs lenses because you might go full frame" I have found that very few of these people actually ever go full frame. It is just too expensive and likely to stay that way.
20 posts Page 2 of 2