Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
17 posts Page 2 of 2
After you take your shot, and the thumbnail appears in the back-side display, repeatedly press the down arrow of your "navigation wheel". This will cycle thru a number of display modes. One is a histogram which I use to see immediately about what the exposure is going to "look like". Another is a "highlights" screen; you see blinkies if there are any places with blown highlights. The screens following that will contain one or two showing most of the Exif info which will include, shutter speed, f-stop, and ISO

If you don't yet know how to use the in-camera display, look in the Nikon manual index for Electronic Analog Exposure Display. Nikon never makes it easy, manuals are not that user friendly, you may find that reference in the index as a sub-heading under "Manual" under "Exposure" (that's where it is in the D80 manual). Even after you find it you may be confused (I sure was) because it isn't written very well.

Play with it for a while and you will eventually get the hang of it. It is really a great feature and avoids a lot of problems after you get comfortable with it.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thanks for all of the feedback. I really appreciate the help. Gene, thanks for the link on understanding exposure. Until now, I have never had anything other then a point and shoot, so this is a whole new world for me! :thanks:
You're also making life difficult for yourself... using the "P" mode might be frowned upon by some people but it's not a bad way to at least get some pictures while you learn. Going from there to Manual (are you sure you are using the Manual mode properly?) is a bit unnecessary.

I suggest you stick with ISO200 (for now), as it will cater for most subjects unless in fairly extraordinary lighting conditions.

I'd also go for, generally speaking, Shutter Priority mode for faster moving targets, or Aperture Priority for general photography..... i.e. in either "Priority" mode, you set one control and the 'other' control will 'reciprocate' automatcially, giving you a decent exposure.

In the former, the aperture will give you "enough" light for whatever shutter setting you've applied and, in the latter, the shutter speed will "match" the aperture you apply.

Most of all, read your camera's manual and, if you can, get yourself one of those "Magic Lantern Guides", books which explain more to you and make it easier to understand every little feature of the camera.... not just 'how' things work but 'why' they work.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Try this: With the camera in manual mode aim to fill viewfinder with green grass or blue sky(mid-tones) that is in the same light as what you will be photographing. Being in focus doesn't matter. Look at the bottom of your viewfinder where you will see some numbers and a little triangle. Play with the iso, f-stop(aperture), and shutter speed until the triangle lines up with the zero. That should be your starting exposure. Further tweaking can be done with the histogram as a guide as mentioned previously.
Thanks Linda, I will try that. I am starting a basic photography course on Saturday, so hopefully they will be able to teach me something. :biggrin:
Congratulations on the photo course! Hopefully it won't be too basic and they will teach you some of the finer points of photography. Another book to consider, though a bit more technical, is Michael Freeman's "Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs". Read Bryan Peterson's book first, though, if you choose to go this route. His is an easier read to start out on.

Good luck with the class!
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Thanks everyone!!!! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
17 posts Page 2 of 2