Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
I don't belong to any camera clubs etc. so last year's photo competition was the first one I had entered, and we didn't have critique from the people running the course. This year we did. Members of Bob's club are used to it. I'm sure I'm not alone in not having faced this. He didn't know whose photos he was commenting on, but could easily identify two of mine - "A creature that scurries" (couldn't bring himself to say RAT) in the"Pets" class, and a montage. I agree that my montage was far too crowded, and that it would have been better if I had entered the original montage of the arboretum only. As you know, like my mentor, Kev, I do a variety of styles. However, I cannot agree that all montages should be done using a Microsoft program which, as far as I could make out, forces you into using a set format!

There was also a lot of discussion as to how much water, sky etc. disqualifies something from being 'a landscape/'

He also criticised everyone's printers which had not been calibrated, and said that we should either use calibrated printers or have them professionally printed. We can't all afford it!

I found his manner really destructive and discouraging. Actually my "creature that scurries" won joint third in the category as voted by the course members.

Is this the normal way of handling a competition.
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
Ann,
Bob sounds like what I like to call a little Napoleon.
He's the type who says do it my way because that's the only way.
It's a good job that the great artists didn't listen to people like him, if they had, the art world would be very dull.
Constructive criticism is good, derogatory statements help no-one.
My advice would ignore him and remember my belief, the only person you have to please with your work is yourself.
Kev.
Kev's Gallery

Dogs have masters. Cats have servants

Windows 7, PSE 9, PSP12
Hmn, Little Napoleon or a big A - -!

Caught myself, family forum you know.

People who provide comments like his need to get another part time hobby, because they should not ever work like what you describe.

I am involved with a Seniors Camera club and we do shootouts for assignment. I usually arrange the show for projection and provide comments on what IN MY OPINION might make a particular shot look better. Everyone in the club is invited to comment, ask questions if the photographer is there and if anyone were to get off in the tangent that this fellow has, he would be shot down.

It is a constructive process, not a destructive one.
John
Sounds like somebody spending to much time feeding his ego instead of trying to improve the knowledge of the competitors. I am more used to critiques that go like this..."I might have considered following the rule of thirds and cropping the sky a little tighter" or "If possible calibrating your printer or using a professional lab would do the pictures more justice".

Keep in mind. Art is Art and not science. A persons opinion is just that. Consider it, take what works for you and put the rest in the trash where it belongs.
Before I was just tired now I'm retired!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/23789
Ann,
Not to worry....opinions are like noses, most everyone has one.... :D
I refer to folks like this as photo snobs or photo elitists. All they ever do is look down their noses and give negative comments.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
That is not how most judgeings go. it is more typical to point out 2-3 positives, before moving on to 1 or 2 areas(even if there are more) that would make a stronger image if changed.
I can't speak for "competitions", Ann, because I have no experience there. But I can echo the other thoughts expressed here.

When I hear things like: "must use a Microsoft program", "formula for water, sky, etc. to 'qualify' as a landscape", and the like -- I conclude a small-minded person is talking. Someone with little imagination of his own, just a person that has memorized a set of rules and, anything that doesn't fit those rules must be lacking.

"Calibrate your printer" takes the cake -- it's not his image, how does he know what the colors are supposed to look like?

My advice is that you keep on doing whatever gives you pleasure. That's what matters.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thank you - that was really reassuring. As I'm going through a bad spell with depression at the moment and can be over-sensitive, I found it SO disheartening. His club may be used to it - I'm sure the rest of us weren't and, for me, that night made me lose sight of the positives of the course.

Actually, the audio-visual session on the first afternoon was great. although I find Barry Beckham's tutorials so brilliant. The evening session on calibrating monitors and printers bored me. I know my laptop is always in a different position, and I use various papers etc. so neither were really relevant. The morning session on Elements (by someone else) was great. I've never used 'Fix', Photomerge or Filter, Camera Distortion.

In the afternoon we were able to work with our cameras, either alone or in groups. I went on my own, first to the river, then in the grounds doing flower macros - especially mesembryanthemums. I haven't seen them for years and found their colours so beautiful. The evening was the critique session. The final morning was 'comments on the course' etc.

Still really struggling, though.
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
You know "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so what you see as beauty may not be to someone else. Does it make it less beautiful? No it does not. So unless your photos were way out of focus or you had the Saturation turned up to much how would he know what colors are true or not? You are only a good teacher if you can walk away and your students can take over and be as good as you are. Sounds like he does not want you to learn anything and trying to pump his sorry ego. He needs to learn some good people skills. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to enter more contests and proudly display your work after all it is your work not his and everyone has their own style .

Tina B :cheer2:
Ann, dont let him get you down. Not everyone can TEACH well. Maybe he needs on lesson on how to critque well!
18 posts Page 1 of 2