Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi y'all.
Just thought I'd share a technique that didn't quite work. When is a flat wall NOT flat? When a lens distortion called barrel distortion raises its ugly head. The photo in question is of the LSU Museum of Art in downtown Baton Rouge,La. It is made of four separate photos stitched together. I didn't notice the severe barrel distortion when I took the photos. Stitching them together really brought out the distortion. Just something to be aware of when taking a series of photos to merge later.
Chas
Stitched-museum.jpg
Stitched-museum.jpg (55.86 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Just tell everybody it's a round building.

Rusty :twisted:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Chas, there are several options in photomerge (Elements 6); one of them should correct this kind of distortion.
Photomerge.jpg
Photomerge.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
very interesting subject, so glad you posted this Chas.
ChAS......As far as I'm concerned........Its a round building :rotfl:

Nice photo !!!

George :toast:
"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle."James Kelly
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19724 George's Gallery
Thanks Michel. I'll give it a try. Well, here's the result as best as I could get it. I also used the correct distortion filter in PSE7.
Chas
museum-final.jpg
museum-final.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Chas's Gallery
Good to know,. Thanks Chas!
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
I would also guess that the original images were taken with a wider than standard lens, like a 24-28mm (35mm film equivalent). The standard lens (50mm equivalent is fine, and anything from 42mm and up to about 70mm).

A couple of other points about panoramas (though this image doesn't have the problems) is to use one manual setting for each shot - same EV throughout - and also to use a fixed White Balance (not Auto).
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
The individual photos were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 2900 with the lens set at its widest setting. I probably used a different lens had I been using my DSLR.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
9 posts Page 1 of 1