Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Last year, the person giving awful cririques on all our photos said that photographs including mainly the sea, lakes or canals were not landscapes. I have a photo of sunset over a canal, with the banks etc. Is Bob just being unduly fussy or are there speciftic criteria?

My entry in the pet section will be easily recognisable. If I can get a decent picture of my lovely rex girls eating an avocado pear, that may be appealing, otherwise I'll opt for the late Ratara (Fatara?) stuck in a WeightWatchers yoghurt pot! The critique will probably refer to a "thing that scuttles" as he appears to be unable to bring himself to say "R.A.T."

Portrait and Wonderful world shouldn't be too bad.

As it is the fifth year, we have been given the cryptic topic 'Five' to interpret and way we like. At present I'm thinking of having a macro of a buttercup (5 petals, with another obect in each petal. Any ideas welcome!
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
Ann,

Is this the same person that provided critique last year? I remember your post from that time and wish to remind you that most of the forum members were of the opinion that he was a jerk: more interested in inflating his own importance than in providing helpful comment. Shoot whatever pleases you. Your sunset over a canal sounds fine to me.

Do you have enough rats (5) for the theme? If so, you may find an interesting group shot. You may well have to sit for hours with the camera pointed and ready ... waiting for a pleasing composition :D

Let us know how the photo show goes.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Here is an article that might help, Ann

http://www.photographytips.com/page.cfm/77
annc wrote: Last year, the person giving awful cririques on all our photos said that photographs including mainly the sea, lakes or canals were not landscapes. I have a photo of sunset over a canal, with the banks etc. Is Bob just being unduly fussy or are there speciftic criteria?

Oh, that sounds very funny to me! Now, I am in no way a trained artist or photographer, but I NEVER thought too much water would disqualify a photo from being a LANDscape! :rotfl: What a literal interpretation. I don't think you're going to be able to please this guy, based on last year's experience. Prepare your self-esteem for some blows and good luck!

Courtney
Is it just me [or do most people my age] not give a darn what Bob and people like him think and say?
Yes, it is the same pompous chap! Obviously according to the article, which looks very good, and I have saved, he is a "purist". Whether I will do the canal or a view at Burrswood I'm not sure yet.

As regards 'Five', so far I've thought of the following to put in the five petals of a buttercup, or other five-petalled flower macro:
Five baby fingers/thumb gripping something
A hind foot of a rat (pretty - they might not know what it belongs to)
Five lines on a treble music stave

I wonder if there is another musical instrument-related one, which might tie in with the Salvation Army. They have to be my photos, so I can't have five Olympic Rings! Might see if I have a group of five people at some event - or one of my photos from the first course we did. (Conveniently forgetting that it was their second!)

I really will try to get on here more. A combination of health problems - and the fact that I've let other things slip, plus the demands of the 14 occupants of Rodentville (one hamster, 13 rats - may grow to 15 or 16) have meant that I've let these slip. Thinking of you.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
Ann,

I don't follow you why you want to put something on each flower petal..? A macro of a five petal bloom sounds like a lovely idea without embellishments.

Courtney
I'll probably try both ways, but thought the montage idea (similar to one I did with parrot feathers) was more unusual and likely to attract attention - and votes!

Ann

Ann's Gallery
I remember your post about this last year and thinking - "What an A.."

Picked up a Digital Camera World magazine last week and saw a couple of shots described as Seascapes! Did a Google search and while there is truth to the statement, it is a fine technical one - and one that I am inclined to ignore.

I tell the folks in our Seniors Camera club to break the rules - if you like it, it's good!

Like Russ, I am not inclined to pay much attention to people like him, and in fact take a delicious delight in responding to them in the utmost of civil terms, while mocking them - works every time for me!

In the past year, we have invited a number of photographers who have been published nationally and internationally to come and talk to our camera club about their work, and without exception, they were warm and responsive and most of all EXCITED about photography and their work.

This guy doesn't sound like he is excited about anything!
John
Russinator wrote: Is it just me [or do most people my age] not give a darn what Bob and people like him think and say?

Hey Russ, it is not just you! I also love to argue with purist who deride my photos because they are 'manipulated' with Photoshop.
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
16 posts Page 1 of 2