Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Last year we had a lot of friction over what constituted a landscape - not too much sky, not too much water, not too much snow etc.

I'm sorting out my things for a competition in a couple of weeks. My choices for a landscape consist of:
A view down the hill in Shaftesbury used for the Hovis advert.
A view near Folkestone in which the foreground and middle distance are of rowing boats, with Dover cliffs and sea in top third.
A view near Toad Rock - not too keen on this.
A view of Burrswood grounds - grass and a wooden feature in foreground, middle of azalea bushes etc, green trees in background - no sky.

What do you think?

My portrait entry is a girl (I have permission, even if I can't remember her name!) in an oval frame of mesembryanthemums.
Wonderful world - either a dragonfly, mesembryanthemum macro or a macro of the centre of a rose.
Pets - probably a rather unusual view of a dog, possibly Wingnut (but everyone will know who contributed that!)

Five! (Interpret as we will to celebrate five years of the course!) A periwinkle with the background blurred and something representing five on each petal:
People going into Sunbury Court with camera equipment
A carving of the praying hands
Five people on the platform at a Salvation Army enrolment (It's a course run by the SA_
A starfish
Super macro of a downy (and long-clawed) rattie hind foot!
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
Very nice selections, Ann
You have obviously put a lot of work and thought into this.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Terrific selections
Ann,

Are you asking for help choosing which photo to use in the landscape and macro categories? I love your first one, Shaftesbury. It's beautiful with an interesting perspective. Two of the landscapes photos you described are not showing up, by the way.

For macro, the dragon fly unfortunately is not in focus so I would not use that one. The white flower (rose?) is a winner, in my humble opinion.

Good luck!

Courtney
Min,

Like them all, especially the first one and the one of the dog. I agree with Courtney about the dragonfly - nice, but out of focus the the bugs back end!

I seem to remember last year that there was some carping and complaining from the reviewer about what constituted a landscape - among other things - most of which the members of this forum sneered at (me included).

The shot of the Harbour might fall into this(His) grey zone as it is (maybe) a Seascape and has man-made objects (boats) in it.

So, my point is have they in any way published the guidelines for the competition and category definitions. Knowing in advance may give you a better insight as to what to submit.
John
That wasn't actually the one I intended for landscape - that will be Shaftesbury.

It is really choosing between the ones in Wonderful World and Pets.

Thank you for your comments.
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
6 posts Page 1 of 1