Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Every year at our church festival I go one night with a tripod to make time exposure shots of the "swirling lights" of the rides. This time I wanted much shorter exposures to "get people images". I set aperture priority (f/8 and let Nikon figure out the shutter speed; the results were a fraction of a second... 1/6th, 1/4th, 1/3d, 1/2 for the ones posted here. I set the white balance to tungsten.

Some of the people are standing in one place; you can see others moving and they appear as ghosts. I was happy with the results:
DSC_9442.jpg
DSC_9442.jpg (129.83 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

DSC_9445.jpg
DSC_9445.jpg (121.95 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

DSC_9448.jpg
DSC_9448.jpg (126.02 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

DSC_9453.jpg
DSC_9453.jpg (137.14 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

More...
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty i love night photos they have a whole different feel to them. Thanks for letting me see yours they are neat night shots. :biggrin:
Rusty, I like your different approach to this. The slower shutter speeds with the resulting blurring really works here. Nice work.

Anita
Great photos, Rusty. I don't have nerve enough to try night stuff, yet. Maybe someday.
Beautiful shots, Rusty. Night photography has become my favorite type of photography. In taking any image, the light is first, the subject is second. This is true in day photography but is highly obvious in night photography. Your night shots are always such beautiful works, Great job!
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Rusty,
Thank you for the info, our county fair is coming up in another month and I think I'll try it one night. I want to bring my camera the night of the main concert. This year it is George Jones. Good 'ole No Show lol
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
Julie, good results are not difficult if you use a tripod.
A monopod won't do it; forget about hand-held. As long as you can find a place to stand and spread out the legs you should have no problems.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I'll have to dig through my photos from last years fair and see how I did. I do need more practice on the camera. Maybe when it's a bit cooler I'll feel like going out!
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
8 posts Page 1 of 1