Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Just in case someone missed the news pertaining to the Lytro technology
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/ ... take-them/

The price is supposed to be competitive
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Betty, I had heard about that camera before. It might be something to try once it comes out.
So awesome!
Yes, fascinating technology.

But . . . .

My first job back in the days was selling cameras in Vancouver. British Columbia in the Eaton's department store. Taught myself and got on the job training in the basics of exposure, and camera mechanics. \

Graduated, moved to Ontario, stayed here (?????) and really got back into photography after I retired in 2004.

So here is my point. I like the creativity I can exercise over my camera and in composition to achieve the effects of depth of field/focus spot. It was this factor that moved me up from a Canon G6 (great little or not so little) to a Canon 30D DSLR and found or re-found the joy of photography.

I have gotten into Photoshop, HDR photography, extra lenses (macro and various telephoto) and external flash and lighting and the whole bag of tricks. It is a hobby and according to the DW, keeps me out of the kitchen. :woohoo:

So, unless and until they sell this technology or lease it to Canon/Nikon, it isn't to go far in the area I like to play in. It kind of sounds like the Foveon sensor that SIGMA has a lock on, is supposed to produce great pictures, has been phantom released in a DSLR model (announced last year but almost impossible to find in Camera stores) and is only slightly available in 2 SIGMA P/S cameras. These guys make lenses, not cameras!

So, it will be interesting to see where it goes, but not considering buying . . . . .
John
I did a quick study of this new technique. The third post down has my test results.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Chas,

Not sure what you are referring to by
The third post down has my test results.
John
The thread entitles New Technology in Camera has a posting(June 22nd) of my results of my unscientific test of this new technology. This thread is three threads down from this one. The technology is fascinating but as it stands for now, it has limitations. I'm sure these limitations will be a mute point in the future as this software is improved upon.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Uh, Okay, got it - I think.

3 down is a relative thing and subject to change. Here is the post - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9157
John
I just had some random thoughts that I thought I'd share. Yeah, I know...I am getting into dangerous territory with random thoughts. :rotfl:

Often, I shoot trying to obtain a specific depth of field in the shot, with my focus in a specific spot, whether it be the fore, back, or middle ground of the picture. This is done as part of my own creative process as I am trying to obtain a specific look or feel to the picture. Seems to me this camera would not allow me to do that.

What happens if you crop the shot afterwards? Will that "break" the ability to click anywhere in the picture to bring the focus to that spot?

And speaking of post processing, how the heck will you PP a picture that keeps changing focus every time you click on it?

Just wondering....... :puter:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
9 posts Page 1 of 1