Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
I may have mentioned that I took an adult education class at UW-Waukesha last fall ... Flash Photography. I told the instructor that I needed to learn how to use fill flash in bright sun because so many of my church gigs present that problem. I have tried using my speedlight with a marked lack of success. This was 'evening classes' so he couldn't demonstrate But he explained that my speedlight was probably overpowering the subject and I needed to dial down the flash intensity. If I am up close for most of the shots, he suggested using the pop up flash with a diffuser and suggested several makes.

I went to my local full-service camera store and looked at two. The salesman said the Gary Fong model cost about ten bucks more than the LumiQuest "Soft Screen" recommended by my instructor but he thought it was better. I told DW I wanted a Gary Fong Puffer for Christmas.
Puffer.jpg
Puffer.jpg (126.38 KiB) Viewed 1405 times

This is pretty slick. It slips into the accessory shoe and, after mounting, the flash easily moves up and down. With the LumiQuest model you have to remove the diffuser every time you want to turn off the flash.
Puff-1.jpg
Puff-1.jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 1405 times

Puff-2.jpg
Puff-2.jpg (103.35 KiB) Viewed 1405 times

I had this mounted on the camera 100% of the time for my 3-day church festival project and popped the flash up for maybe 40% of my shots. It is relatively unobtrusive and doesn't make the camera top-heavy like a speedlight. Because the light is diffused, I didn't get a single instance of red-eye as is so common with an on-camera, head on flash.

We had a lot of "booths" ... canvas top and back for shade and bright, bright sun all around. I wanted to get as many shots as possible of all the parishioners working as volunteers. This little jewel worked like a champ. Here is a Mother-Son team hard at work!
Puffed.jpg
Puffed.jpg (125.34 KiB) Viewed 1405 times

Now, here's the funny part. When DW went to the camera store with my note telling her exactly what I wanted for Christmas, the salesman said, "Yes, we have that. Here it is; it costs $24.99 plus tax." DW looked him in the eye and said, "There must be some mistake. There can't possibly be any piece of camera equipment my husband wants that only costs twenty-five dollars!"

Rusty

PS - I'm still not getting very good results on faces in bright sun with harsh shadows. I probably need more practice adjusting the flash compensation.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
That looks like it would be very handy. You've had this since Christmas?

Mom's lucky the salesman didn't tell her he'd made a mistake and then proceed to up the price on her. :)

Courtney
"There must be some mistake. There can't possibly be any piece of camera equipment my husband wants that only costs twenty-five dollars!"

Rusty, now that's funny!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm on my way to pick up one of those items.
Rusty,
What a wonderful idea ... I think I'll put that on my I Want list too :)

Edit: Too late, I looked on ebay and was able to get a brand new one delivered to my door for less than $20 including shipping charges. I'm going to tell DH it's your fault!
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
4 posts Page 1 of 1