Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
31 posts Page 3 of 4
Tennie i love both shots but the first one is my favorite they turned out great.
Yep, I was talking about P, Program mode. It's totally automatic, point and shoot.

It can be, but it does allow you to take control of shutter speed, aperture, white balance, exposure compensation, etc. That is if you want to.
http://www.digital-photography-school.c ... mera-modes
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
ladybug wrote: Tennie i love both shots but the first one is my favorite they turned out great.

Thanks, Judy. It's my favorite also...the flowers/fence was shot with an art idea in mind.

Gene, I am such a camera dummy! I have used all the programmed 'scene' modes - both in the P&S and the new camera. I had tried some of the other modes - aperture, shutter speed, etc. - but found myself lost. There's no clue to what to use in each instance and by the time I've played around with it, the moment is lost and no photo or very bad photo is the result.

Wish I had an expert around here to tutor me!!!
Tennie, they both look great ! Looking forward to many more
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Tennie, thanks for posting the photos. You took, and posted, wonderful photographs.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Gene, I am such a camera dummy! I have used all the programmed 'scene' modes - both in the P&S and the new camera. I had tried some of the other modes - aperture, shutter speed, etc. - but found myself lost. There's no clue to what to use in each instance and by the time I've played around with it, the moment is lost and no photo or very bad photo is the result.

None of it made any sense to me until I took some classes. The local community colleges and the art center here offer them. I started taking a home study course at one point, but haven't finished it. I do a lot of reading also. One place to start is with Bryan Peterson's books, "Understanding Exposure" and Understanding Aperture". I have these and a couple of his other books. Along with those two, another one of his that looks good is his "Understanding Photography Field Guide: How to Shoot Great Photographs With Any Camera". I don't own that one, though, but if its like his others that I do have, and based on the Amazon reviews, it looks like it would be very helpful.

The other part....practice! And don't give up! :thumbsup:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Tennie,
Jessica Sprague's site offers a camera class. I believe a couple of members of PCE a few years back took the class and really enjoyed it. You can check it out here.

I would feel good in recommending any of the JS classes to anyone. Kimi used to be a moderator on her forum and would probably agree with me.
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
Tennie, I know you are enjoying your new camera. Isn't it fun?

I invite you to take the time to look at this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3000/ ... /index.htm

Much, much clearer than the user's manual. Ken Rockwell can be a bit dogmatic, I take some of his pronouncements with big grains of salt. But, for the big majority of areas, I agree with what he has to say. This is an overall summary, when you get down to the bottom you find "Details" with links taking you to six more sections.

When I had my D50 I laboriously copied this stuff into a Word-file, page by page, all the details ... highlighting and pasting from the web-pages to my PC. I took a disk to Kinko's and got thirty or so pages printed for a few dollars. When I wanted the D80 guide it was real easy ... one click downloaded a PDF-file I could take to Kinko's. Alas, doesn't seem to be a PDF option here.

Anyway, this really helped me. I commend it to you as well.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thanks, Rusty. I'll head over there now. :thumbsup:
Tennie, Even years of practice doesn't always translate to being quick on the draw. A recommendation from a class I took was to leave in a programmed mode for any quick grab shots, then take time to do more deliberate settings if the moment lasts.
31 posts Page 3 of 4