Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
31 posts Page 1 of 4
I've been eyeing dslr cameras for a while. DH says get one, I'm not ready...but my 'go to' P&S is acting 'wonky' and cranky causing frustration and lost shots. :evil:

So yesterday while walking in the mall I again stopped to look, just look....really. But my DH persuaded me to get it, and it wasn't even because it was my birthday. OK, not the latest and greatest but an older Nikon model. Also picked up a long lens. :love:

One of these days, when my mind is clear and I have the energy, I'll read the manual and see if I can figure out some settings. But hey, those things really seem heavy after using the P&S models. :roll:

Tried it out today a little...some good, some bad. Have to figure how to balance it.

I'm hoping to get into the swing of things again, especially with the monthly photos. Sorry I've been off so long.
Tennie, congrats on your new camera. I made the jump from a P&S camera about a year ago. I hope you'll love your new unit as much as I love my D90.
Good for you, Tennie. :thumbsup: (I wish I had the confidence to switch to a dslr.)
In the meantime, I watch http://kelbytv.com/dtowntv/category/episodes/page/8/ to try to learn just a little about the world of dslr. These are the older episodes, so maybe they will match the model of your cam. Also, just in case you haven't checked out Kelbytraining com http://kelbytraining.com/online/courses/ there are some helpful photography courses that are fun to watch. (the list above, is just a sample). I plan to sign up again when we are in dead winter & stuck indoors.

Looking forward to photos from you & your new camera & lens

edit: the link to dtowntv (above) now works.
http://kelbytv.com/dtowntv/category/episodes/page/7/ Matt & Scott explain setting up a new Nikon in episode 11.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Thanks Russ and BJ!!! I guess I need to keep learning or I'll get rusty for sure. I've been taking some sample/try-out photos but really don't know what I'm doing.

I did get a card today from Adobe offering me CS5 for *only* $299...would be a lot of learning there, but I already bought the camera.
Tennie, know what you mean -- so much too learn. I think we are on a 32-year-learning-curve with photography & PS.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Once you get it figured out you'll wish you'd done it a long time ago!
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Tennie, that's very exciting news! The dslrs are heavy, but they sure take nice pics. I want anyone who is nervous about getting one to know, they all have the same easy point-and-shoot mode as the little p&s cameras. You don't HAVE to immediately start setting shutter speeds or apertures, etc. as soon as you get it.

Courtney
Congratulations Tennie on your new Nikon! It can be a bit overwhelming at first, all those settings and where to start! Like Courtney said you don't have to start off shooting manual. I started out letting the camera pick the shutter speed till I felt comfortable with the aperture. I just recently starting shooting in full manual mode and I'm still not comfortable with it. There is a lot of trial and error but thank goodness with DSLR you can see your mistakes right away and correct it instead of waiting for that roll of film to be developed. As for going over to CS5 I'd take that plunge right away, you'll be so glad you did!
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
tnjewels wrote: Congratulations Tennie on your new Nikon! As for going over to CS5 I'd take that plunge right away, you'll be so glad you did!

I agree with everything said above. If you can get Matt Kloskowski's Disc "Crash Course for CS5" it'll get you up and running [with CS5] very quickly. I got it as a gift for joining NAPP. I recommend the disc completely.
they all have the same easy point-and-shoot mode as the little p&s cameras.

uh..my D300 doesn't. I've got Manual, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Program modes. Program is probably closest to full Auto that I have, but it doesn't compensate for whether I'm shooting portraits or action shots, or any of the other auto modes that some of the P&S cameras come with. Now, my D70s does have a few of the auto modes (action, macro, landscape, and portrait) along with a full auto mode, along with the Manual, Shutter, Aperture, and Program modes. But I haven't shot with it since I got my D300.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
31 posts Page 1 of 4