Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
31 posts Page 2 of 4
Thanks for all the hints. I think I have an even older model than you guys, and not the 'professional' level. It's a D3000. I have tried it on auto just to get the feel, but it seems that sometimes I have trouble with the auto-focus....hit or miss. I need to get out and practice some more.
How do you like being on the Beta team for B&W tennie?
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
genevh wrote:
they all have the same easy point-and-shoot mode as the little p&s cameras.


uh..my D300 doesn't. I've got Manual, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Program modes. Program is probably closest to full Auto that I have, but it doesn't compensate for whether I'm shooting portraits or action shots, or any of the other auto modes that some of the P&S cameras come with. Now, my D70s does have a few of the auto modes (action, macro, landscape, and portrait) along with a full auto mode, along with the Manual, Shutter, Aperture, and Program modes. But I haven't shot with it since I got my D300.


Yep, I was talking about P, Program mode. It's totally automatic, point and shoot. I did not mean any of what I consider special modes, like Sports or Portrait or Landscape.

I had something kind of funny happen the other day. I was out with DD, DM, and DS and wanted a photo of the 4 of us together. I handed my p&s to a stranger and asked her if she'd take our photo. She said sure but as she was getting ready she stopped and said, "Oh, oh, it's in P, not auto mode." I assured her that was OK and she could go ahead and shoot. And we actually all ended up with nice smiles in that one, amazingly. :)

Courtney
tennie wrote: Thanks for all the hints. I think I have an even older model than you guys, and not the 'professional' level. It's a D3000. I have tried it on auto just to get the feel, but it seems that sometimes I have trouble with the auto-focus....hit or miss. I need to get out and practice some more.


Nope, your camera is about 4 years newer than my D50. I inherited mine from Rusty. He broke it in for me. :D

For the auto-focus, are you seeing where the focus box is? My camera has 5 choices and whenever I'm not set to the center of the frame and I ask someone else to take my photo with it, I end up out of focus and the background ends up nice and sharp. P&S people aren't used to looking through the optical viewfinder and having to find the focus box when composing the shot.

Courtney
I am so happy for you. I want to take the leap eventually.
ladybug wrote: I am so happy for you. I want to take the leap eventually.


I have a Nikon D90 and would recommend it to anyone who's thinking about moving up from a P&S.

It's the move I made when I moved up a year ago.
tnjewels wrote: How do you like being on the Beta team for B&W tennie?


It's much more that what I expected....love the many looks!
Russinator wrote:
ladybug wrote: I am so happy for you. I want to take the leap eventually.


I have a Nikon D90 and would recommend it to anyone who's thinking about moving up from a P&S.

It's the move I made when I moved up a year ago.


Thought about it, Russ. Just more that I wanted to shell out.

I did try out my D3000 today, really like it. In many ways similar to my Nikon P&S, with a few things I needed to check in the manual.
Tennie, we'd all love to see some of your pictures with the new camera.
Just a couple shots from today. Not everything came out wonderfully but that's 'operator error'.

Image
my new toy


Image
by the fence
31 posts Page 2 of 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron