Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
A word to the wise...

Don't think you can zip into the local camera shop and grab a last minute item!

If your newspapers, and full-color inserts, are anything like mine, electronics and cameras are really being pushed for the last month or so. Apparently the retailers are being successful with this ad campaign.

I went to my local full-service camera store to buy a flash. Ordinary item, not new, not cutting edge, not even being advertised ... Nikon SB-600. Out of stock, backordered with no hint from Nikon of availability. My son has a birthday December 19th and I was confident that, at least for once, I was well ahead of the game. :oops:

The salesman telephoned two local competitors ... same story. Everybody is out of stock and backordered. On his source recommendation, I eventually got one via mail order but, to add even more fuel to the fire: the Chicago store was out of stock but they found one in Boston that will be UPSed to me as we speak. So, I should be OK for the birthday. :)

It's not as if I was looking for some new, hot, heavily advertised item...
...be forewarned.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Your right Rusty... everyone is pushing camera sales. First time I can remember Ritz doing a national TV ad campaign. I think I've seen it on TLC, Discovery Channel and the like. I'm waiting till after Christmas to do any purchasing for myself and I'm getting gift certificates for most of my family so they can get what they want at better prices (one size fits all). The bargains this year are far a few between it seems and if you do find a good one they're sold out.
Gary
D7000, D90, D200 ...and plenty of lenses.
"[i]Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/i]"
Don't you just love the holidays. Even the most sought after items aren't available because people are settling for lower end for replacements.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
yeah... I ordered my Bamboo Fun tablet on Amazon. I couldn't find one here in town. :P
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
You folks are scaring the pants off me....Why? Because I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet.... :o
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Just an update.....all my Christmas shopping is done.....YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Well, Whoop de Doo, Chas,
It's about time! (I finished mine yesterday)

Rusty :mrgreen:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
7 posts Page 1 of 1