Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
I'm considering entering this photo into an international contest. I feel that before I do, I need the eyes and ideas from folks I trust to give me some honest feedback. There are a few branches on a tree on the right that stray into the sky. I'm seriously questioning whether I should take them out or not.
Thanks,
Weez

Attachments

Louise i do not like those stray branches either.
I agree. Those branches don't add anything.
I would consider dodging the path to make it a bit darker.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Have worked on the photo a bit and feel like it is much better. May need a bit more of something but I'm not sure. Comments and Criticism, please.
Thanks,
Weez

Attachments

Judy and Rusty, Thank you for your comments. It's nice to know my eyes aren't as bad as I thought they were. LOL!!
Louise, I love you photo. It should do very good in the contest.
Hmm....I agree that the stray branches needed to go, but now that area looks like you took a set of hedge trimmers and just cut them off even with the mountain top edge. To me, that doesn't look like something you would see when walking down a trail. Trees just aren't that neatly trimmed off at the top unless the power company has been through.

I like the idea of what you did on the right side by filling it in some, but I think instead of going top to bottom like you did, maybe just extend and fill out the tree that had the stray branches to look fuller and fill in that side with it some.

FWIW....just my 2¢
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
I like what you've done with the photo, those branches that were almost bare were distracting. The colors are so vivid on the trees, it's very pretty. IMHO I would like to see the dirt path darker so see what it does for the overall photo.
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
It's a beautiful shot. I think it needs more contrast overall. You could try using a levels adjustment layer and bring the dark slider to the right some and perhaps bring the center slider further to the right. What I am thinking is that the yellow in the leaves needs to pop more with the rest of the image becoming darker, including the trail and the sky.
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I have tried to follow them to the letter. I left the old photo on here and am posting today's rendition. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

14 posts Page 1 of 2