Updated your gallery and want folks to take a look? Saw a remarkable image in someone elses gallery? Post about it here!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
20100925 Avon Pier-Hatteras Island NC.jpg
Under the Avon Pier
20100925 Avon Pier-Hatteras Island NC.jpg (169.12 KiB) Viewed 854 times

Taken at the Avon Pier, Avon, NC. on Hatteras Island. A bit of Topaz Adjust used on it.

Edit: Someone noticed the horizon was a wee bit crooked, so I fixed it.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
That's wonderful, Gene

Have you been there often? If not, how in the world did you know how to plan that shot? I refuse to believe it was 'just luck'

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Very nice! I like the composition and the lightness, almost a silver quality of your photo.

Courtney
Being someone who has spent a lot of years at the ocean, I can say that your piece is most excellent, in fact, it makes me wish I was there right now.
Gene, very interesting vantage point. It adds a different perspective over the usual images taken from the top of the pier.
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Not exactly "just luck" Rusty. This was the first time I've ever been to that pier and having seen pictures taken of other piers from that vantage point, I had to give it a try. That photo was heavily processed. At least more than I'm used to doing, anyway. This is the original:
_GVH0376.jpg
Avon Pier - original
_GVH0376.jpg (121.04 KiB) Viewed 882 times

In LR3 I did my normal adjustments, and then applied the Hallowed Black preset from the Bryan Wheeler Presets that I have. Then taken in to CS5 for some more adjustments, including using Topaz Adjust, Mild Details preset on it, and played with it until I got the final result.

Thanks everyone!
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

I think it's great, Gene, thanks for the comments on processing.
I find the change in the way the water is swirling right under the pier to be amazing --- that makes the shot as far as I'm concerned.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Gene, You've done a wonderful job on that pier photo! It's a definite wall-hanger.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Great picture. This would look good on metallic paper.

genevh wrote:
20100925 Avon Pier-Hatteras Island-2.jpg

Taken at the Avon Pier, Avon, NC. on Hatteras Island. A bit of Topaz Adjust used on it.
I find the change in the way the water is swirling right under the pier to be amazing --- that makes the shot as far as I'm concerned.

I noticed that when I applied the Hallowed Black preset to it in LR. Then I thought I'd see what Topaz Adjust could do to it. I was very happy with the results.

Thanks again, everyone! And I just might have to try a metallic print for that.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

12 posts Page 1 of 2