A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
11 posts Page 1 of 2
Need a new router

I have two Window's PC's hard wired to a router which, I assume, is kaput because with it - downloads take 10 times longer than without it - and I sometimes can't stay on the 'net.

I detached it and things seem to be working fine on the one computer that is still connected to the cable modem.

Any advice on what to look for when purchasing a router? Are all routers created equal?

I am not interested in going wireless.
Janice
PSE 11, Mac with Mountain Lion
Janice,

In my experience with routers and switches, they have a useful lifetime of 3-5 years and then start to degrade quickly.

I would suggest buying the least expensive router you can find – DLink, AirLink, Linksys – doesn’t matter, wired only or wireless – on sale at the best price you can find/wait for.

Buy based on price, not features, get at least a 4 port. If the best buy you can find is wireless, you can disable the feature in most ones that I have played with. Dlink and AirLink let you unscrew the antenna and all the wireless routers have 4 wired ports – at least every one I have ever eyeballed, but ask the sales person.
John
Thanks for the advice - it's been 2.5 years - but it was used from my son - so probably much older. I figured cheap was OK - I'll go that route.

(route - router - get it? - Hey, give me a break, I've been up since 4:00 a.m. LOL)
Janice
PSE 11, Mac with Mountain Lion
I have a wired linksys and it works great. Also with a wired one your security on your computer goes way up (for hacking). I have run several of the on-line tests to see how easy it is to get at my computer and all have said that it is nearly impossible to get into mine.
I've used LinkSys for several years with no problems - other than my own denseness when it comes to setting up a network! :oops: Now if you want to go high-end, there's always Cisco....
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Chuck_S wrote: I've used LinkSys ...if you want to go high-end, there's always Cisco....
Cisco thought so highly of Linksys that they bought 'em in 2003... so when you buy Linksys, you're buying Cisco, now.
Thanks guys. It was suggested that I unplug the router and modem and try a reboot. I did reboot the modem, earlier, but for some reason it never dawned on me to try to do that with the router.

Well, I did it today - and things seem all right on this computer. DH's computer is running slow - but it always does - so I'll need to wait to see if he thinks it's back to normal.

Thanks for all the advice. One thing I did find out when I looked my model up on the 'net - it's from 2002. Five years? Wow -

Makes the idea of purchasing a new one a little easier to swallow.
Janice, like so many pieces of electronic gear, routers have gotten a little better and a little cheaper. I think I bought my last one in 2005 at a Sam's Club; I'm sure they have them at Wally World by now as well.
Chuck
Ended up buying a new router today. Now all is working well. Thanks to all for your advice.
ByronG wrote:
Chuck_S wrote: I've used LinkSys ...if you want to go high-end, there's always Cisco....
Cisco thought so highly of Linksys that they bought 'em in 2003... so when you buy Linksys, you're buying Cisco, now.

Yes, and GM makes - or used to make - Geos and Cadillacs.....! I think it's fair to say that Cisco/LinkSys has a rather broad product line now, with substantial differences in offerings at the top and bottom of the router market. :)
Chuck
11 posts Page 1 of 2