A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
33 posts Page 3 of 4
I wish I could say that I have, but it's not anything I've really noticed. My system test score at PC Pitstop went up dramatically, but I've also added another 2G of RAM and changed out my hard drive since the last time I'd run my tests. My internet download speed has gone up a little bit over my previous averages, so guess that is a bit of an improvement. I would have to test it more to really see though.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
ok, what did we decide about this?

Yes or No?
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Well, I can't speak to any major increases in performance because when my motherboard went out on me I also decided to do some upgrading. Faster CPU, faster memory, SATA 3 (up from 1.5), and a better video card. I can say I have not had any blue screens (knock on wood, but now that I've actually said it :o ) and nothing otherwise weird has been happening.

My employer has not allowed the upgrade on our PCs at work yet. But they are always very slow about things like that.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Thanks Gene... I tend to be more like your employer. I think I will still wait a bit. :bigwink:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Well, since I had no problem installing XP service pack 3 on my computer, I tried it on my wife's laptop... It installed correctly... but I was no longer able to use the wi-fi modem connection! I suspect it may be due to the Norton antivirus. Anyway it took me 2 days to have it work again. My son and my nephew advise me not to upgrade if all previous updates have been regularly made.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Hi,
A special free edition of Windows Secrets newsletter, issued this morning, strongly advises waiting a while (weeks or months) before installing SP3. There are more conflicts discovered almost every day. You'll need to scroll past the promos and ads and read "Patch Watch".

It seems that SP3 and Norton software don't play nicely. Patch Watch columnist Susan Bradley, an old Windows pro has lots to say, none of it encouraging, about the current problems.

Windows Secrets is my favorite of the Geekish newsletters, in that it's capable of being understood by non-geeks like me.

I installed SP3 before doing my homework and wound up doing a "GoBack" to the previous day and then applying one of the workarounds to get it to install. It hasn't improved anything that I can tell, but at least it didn't bomb my machine again. I don't use any Norton stuff, and that might be part of the reason for my ulitmate success.

Waiting won't hurt a thing.

Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
That does it... I wait!
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
service pack 3 caused problems for us in our home. my husband as 2 computers: both HP and one is Intel and one is AMD and we're still WINXP. the service pack installed "normal" on the Intel but the AMD was brought down!

i am NOT a computer guru - just someone who loves to play around with PSE and other programs for enjoyment . . . so pardon my terminology here and I'll just share our adventure ...

we learned that there is a power management dll that is now being loaded on startup for Intel and the code never included the HP's running AMD. The (AMD) system would try to come up - try to load this dll - and going into a never ending loop of restarts. We lost even the monitors connectivity. . . He runs 4 monitors on this machine and had to do some major "surgery" inside the box to just get A monitor up to see what was going on. he found similar folks on his trading forum with the same (and some worse) problems that morning and one of the guys there wrote a utility to get them up and running again. . . but there was no information anywhere on MS or HP about any problems and/or support for this ... this was a super frustrating morning.

I understand that HP now has a program you can run before installing SP3 - - long story short = he's up and running on both machines and since they have been running well, i went ahead and let SP3 install on my HP Intel, WINXP. no problems.

This was earlier this month and hopefully all the 'bugs" have worked out. we're running fine now.
Our IT folks haven't teed up SP3 yet for automatic download, so I'm waiting.

The vast majority of my computer problems can be traced to.....

....operator error.... :oops: :oops:

The young whippersnappers in our IT department take great delight in telling me that.... :x
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
I tried and it messed up my computer. I am not computer savvy so i dont care how many kinks they work out they can keep it. My computer and i dont miss it.
33 posts Page 3 of 4