A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
15 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
Read through the "new computer specs" thread, and contacted Gene (Thank you!!!!) directly when building my computer.....almost pressed the order button on a Dell XPS M1730 fully loaded (with XP Pro) with the exception of the 1GB graphics card, but retreated because husband caught me. EEEKed at the price although i managed to get a $700 discount out of the sales guy with free 3yr ext warranty. Dang!!! Soooooooooooooooooooo,
now I am looking at other options......the XPS M1530....basically a gummed down version of the M1730 except that I'll lose my Raid harddrive of 640GB, and possibly the dual layer DVD writer. And the kicker, the M1530 only comes with VISTA, unless I go through the grunge work myself on installing XP Pro....(gosh, that just does not sound like fun :()

the BIG question: those with VISTA running CS3 and Lightroom......what are the cons??????

Thanks much for helping me spend my money :cheer2:

Denise
Denise, my advise would be to make sure you have the most ram that you can have. I have to upgrade mine I have a dual core PC running vista on 2 gb ram and using CS3 extended and LR. I'm upgrading mine very soon to 4gb. I know my 32 bit os will only use about 3-3.5 gb of the ram but it's better to install it in pairs. HOpe this helps. Good luck.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
Denise, sorry not to answer your question.......I don't see any con's you just need a lot of ram. Vista is a memory hog and so are the adobe programs but no conflicts and I'm even using illustrator.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Since this question is brought up I have one myself. I have a laptop computer on its as we speak. I was wondering the samething.

1) Will all my Actions be compatable with vista?
2) When I bought CS3 I was told I can use the serial no. 2 times then I have to buy another one. Does anyone know a different way to get around this? I have it on my desktop now & will be installing it on the laptop. But I plan to replace my desktop soon and will want it on there. I dont want to have to purchase a serial no.

I think it stinks that you pay alot for this program and you have to pay a few hundred dollars more to put it on a 3rd time.
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
Now when you install CS3 it came with a serial number just like it would have on a boxed set. I don't understand how they know if it's been used more than one time. I would call them and let them know that your having issues and will be getting a desktop and well, you knw the story.

I know that many places will work with you if you have computer problems and have to reinstall software. I had that happen many times with my embroidery software and the computer crashed a few times. THe software co. only said I could have 3 install but I'm in double digits now and I have not given it out.

I would hope that Adobe would work with you for as much as you pay for the software. Plus, you can always jsut give the serial number a try when you install it a 3rd time, they may just be saying that.
Jen Clark
Thanks Jen.....I'm maxing out this laptop totally....4GB RAM off the bat... however, I am concerned that I'm limited with a 256MB graphics card ( I would have preferred a 512). the processor will probably be a X9300 2.6mghz 6MB cache, and 320 GB SATA harddrive. Boy, the other system that I can't have now I was going to have a 640GB Raid harddrive system. sweet...but now bitter...:(

I'll be in the same boat when installing CS3, and Lightroom and Adobe Acrobat Std, and the list goes on..... Like Jen said, give 'em a call. For some reason, 5 seams to be the magic no with Adobe products....but that was back in the corporate days.....

Alrighty then....I'll keep you all posted on the final result...
That is why I haven't gotten a new computer...
I don't want Vista!!!!!
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
ohhh, I dont want VISTA either, that is why I wanted my 4K computer that I cannot have now. I would stay with XP Pro....hands down....
good luck dear... maybe for you... it will be just fine. :pray:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Mine works just fine, flawless in-fact :woohoo:
Vista/cs3/LR no problems at all. I have 2GB ram and can have LR & Cs3 running at the same time no problem.

Its really not scary at all :cheer2:
Nikon D300/PSE6/CS4/LR2/Vista/Firefox
15 posts Page 1 of 2