A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
6 posts Page 1 of 1
I have been left a little money to spend on luxuries for myself. My first thought is an SLR. However, I don't drive and don't want anything too heavy. Introductory level is fine - I want basic aperture and exposure controls, but nothing too difficult!

Any ideas welcomed.
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
Both photographic shops suggest that a hybrid camera is probably more appropriate than an SLR - either the Panasonic DMC FX18 or one of the Fuji Finepix range. I take mainly views or macros of flowers etc. but would like more control over exposure etc. than I have at present. I've just started using the video mode on my compact to get pictures of my ratties. Weight is very important.

Does anyone have any experience of these - advantages/disadvantages?
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
There are so many lightweight SLR's out there. What is your price range???
check out the reviews on some of them here

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/
There is really a big difference in bulk and weight between a good bridge or P&S and a DSLR with its lenses...
What kind of DSLR would fit your needs? I think entry levels with their kit lens plus a 50mm macro lens would be a good choice to cover most of your needs. There is a wide choice from Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus etc. The important thing is to test the feel in your hands.

High end P&S or bridge:
Generally very smart for macro (My G6 is excellent for quality and ease of use). You should check the ability for manual exposure and focusing. Depth of field is wide. An important issue is the colour rendition: there is a risk of clipping with very vivid colours, frequent with flowers. You can have a look at test pictures of different web sites, like Dpreview to make up your mind. There will be a distinct advantage if raw shooting is provided.

DSLR:
They all provide a maximum of adjustments features, raw mode. Their main advantages over small sensor cameras are: High sensitivity (good ISO to 1600 ASA), low noise, no risk of in-camera oversharpening, they have no shutter lag and generally better colours and dynamic range. They have longer focals for the lenses which means less depth of field, but their focusing is much better and quicker.
All those advantages are not so important for macro shooting, except for control of colours and depth of field. That's why a 50mm macro lens is strongly recommended: excellent optical quality even from third party suppliers like Sigma or Tokina, ability to control aperture from 2.8 to 32 which means mastering depth of field. They are also very good for portraits.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Ann, I have the Panasonic FZ7, which is a predecessor to the FZ18 and I love it. If I bought a DSLR, I would still want to keep it because it is such a super camera. The Leica lens takes really clear shots and the zoom (mine is 12x optical instead of 18x) is great. It takes fairly fast shots in burst mode, too, and the macro is very good. I would (and have!) recommend it to anyone for those reasons. It is VERY light, yet I don't have the feeling that it is fragile.

The drawbacks for me:
-changing settings is possible, though not as easy as with a DSLR.
-it does not do well in low light without flash.
-the size is too big for a pocket other than an ample jacket pocket, but does fit well in a fanny (or belly) pack.

Advantage over a DALR is movie mode, which might be nice for filming your ratties. :D
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Hi Ann,

I have the Panasonic Lumix FZ8 which came out after the FZ7 (the Reka has) but before the FZ18. I'm in agreement with all that Reka had to say about the camera. I love it. It is lightweight with an excellent lens and zoom. My husband has the Olympus 550UZ (not sure what the newer model number is on this). It is also a great camera.

In comparison (my opinion only), the Panasonics photos are just slightly sharper with more saturated colors. The Olympus looks and feels a little sturdier but it is also a little heavier. The Olympus also has a little wider lens, a longer zoom (I think on the newer models they are equal though) and a better macro focus.

I've used both cameras, and all in all I prefer the Panasonic. Good luck with your search and have fun!
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
6 posts Page 1 of 1