A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello all, after getting pse5 I have been exploring my Epson Photo RX500 all in one. The default scan is at 300 dpi but it has a range from 50dpi to 12,800 dpi. My question is, does running up the scan dpi really help? I would like to start scanning old family photographs. Does anyone have any experience in this area? All opinions welcome and thanks in advance.
Walt
Kodak P-712, PSE 5.0,Epson Stylus Photo RX500
Walt,

I was in the same quandary a year or so ago when I upgraded to a "good" scanner -- my interest was old slides and/or negatives. Go to www.scantips.com and you will learn more than you will ever want to know.

(I even spend a few bucks to get a printed copy of his 239-page book rather than attempting to keep looking at it on the web)

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
"Go to http://www.scantips.com and you will learn more than you will ever want to know."
Wow! you are not kidding. It will take a while to read through. Quick scan,(no pun) looks like scanning prints is negligible, but if you have negatives you can crank it up. Looks like the size of the starting photo verses the size you want to end with drives the resolution selection. I did not see anything about his book you mentioned. do you have a link or a title? Thanks! :thumbsup:
Walt
Kodak P-712, PSE 5.0,Epson Stylus Photo RX500
When scanning slides, I use the max resolution my scanner allows; so I can enlarge without resampling. Probaly not as important for scanning prints.
Walt, I can't find now it either.
The book is simply a printed copy (softcover, B&W) of everything you see if you scroll thru that website. Plus some additional data, appendixes, etc. I can't remember now what it cost -- wasn't much -- I want to say around $15. He has an email address on that site Email: w@scantips.com

I suppose if you send him an email and ask how to pay him some money, you'll get a fast reply :D

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
5 posts Page 1 of 1