A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
7 posts Page 1 of 1
A computer question...I am cleaning out some old stuff off my hard drive and have all these Java updates. Can I safely delete any of these.

Suzi,

I am not sure either. Interesting, I have done all the Java updates and have quite a different "look" than your control panel.

John
I seem to have a ton more than you, interesting. I hope someone can answer this. Maybe I will write to Java and see.
Geeeeeez :o , I have even more Java updates listed than Suzi and my laptop is only about two and a half years old. I'd be interested if anyone comes up with an answer.And, also I never noticed before that there is a seperate "Java" menu item listed under the Control Panel. I'll have to check my desktop later to see if it is the same.
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
OK, here is what I have come up with. After hours of googling, all the articles say it is ok to delete all the old versions. Just make sure you have the latest version installed. Also find the Java folder in Programs and delete the outdated folders within that.
I am off to a quinciera (I know I totally spelled that wrong) a girls 15th birthday in an hour, so won't get to do it till tomorrow or later tonight. If you don't hear from me on how this goes, you will know it went BAD!!!!
Removing the older versions shouldn't hurt anything. They are supposed to be backward compatible anyway. Unless you're in my situation where at work we have a product that requires Java 5 in order to run the program that gives us browser type access to it and if we're on 6, it won't run, period. But that's the only program I am aware of that behaves like that. Somebody needs to light a fire under our software engineers!! And I looked at mine and have versions 3 - 7.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Well, I deleted all but the latest and I am here. So all went well as far as I can tell.
7 posts Page 1 of 1