A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
4 posts Page 1 of 1
I downloaded the 30 trial of Mask Pro 4 about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Finally got the nerve to try it (trial starts when you first open it, so at least I didn't waste that much of the trial). I have a posed photo of my AMHR national champion miniature horse that has a hideous blue tarp background (not much else to use around here!) I found a lovely brick wall on CGTextures.com and thought how nice she would look in front of that.

So, I got my nerve up and gave Mask Pro 4 a try. Discarded 2 attempts before deciding the third was good enough to keep, with a few improvements.

It doesn't do quite what they say it does. It's supposed to remove all of an unwanted background, and even alter the color of hair or fine details, so they don't look odd on a different color background. I still had to erase bits of blue from around her tail and mane, where the individual hairs looked blue. The background stood out so much that I added a duplicate layer with a mask on top, used a low Gaussian blur, and painted the blur away from the horse. I'm fairly satisfied (enough so I may try to spring for the $160 the program costs), but I hope there are updates to it to improve the masking ability around fine bits of hair.

I would like to hear if anyone else has had experience with Mask Pro 4 (free trial or otherwise). Or, perhaps, a better idea than spending $160 on a not-exactly-vital program (I do love those whistles and bells!). I'm going to list both the before & after pics of my mare.

Let me know what you think! :wave:

Attachments

My memory's good, just short!

(I'm registered at Elements Village as lionsleeps--meant to do that here. Rats!)
Great job, I have an earlier version of mask, and have not been able to get anywhere with it, so it just sits there. Need a really good tutorial on using it.
The onOne Software website has a number of video tutorials for their products. They make it look a lot easier than it turned out to be! And theirs worked perfectly (of course :roll: )

Well, that's what's nice about the 30 day trial, I guess. Better for someone to decide it's not for them, and maybe buy something else someday, than to sell an unknown, have a miserably unhappy customer, who will never come back!

Me, I'm going to play with it a bit more during the next 29 1/2 days, and see if it becomes something I can't live without.

You might try their website tutorials. Maybe they'll help. If you do, let me know. (please)
My memory's good, just short!

(I'm registered at Elements Village as lionsleeps--meant to do that here. Rats!)
I have tried their tutorials and I didn't find that they went into enough detail, assumed that you knew what they were talking about. Were not for a beginner that is for sure. Maybe now that I know more I should go back and check them out again. If you get real good maybe you could do some!!!
4 posts Page 1 of 1