A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
13 posts Page 1 of 2
I am replacing my old scanner. Can anyone recommend a good one? I don't need one with printer attached, just a scanner. :)
SUE'S PICS http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19799
PSE 7 & PE 3/Lightroom2.4/ Windows Vista Nikon D80 -1 in 4 is mentally unbalanced. Take a look at 3 close friends-if they seem OK-then you're the 1. My friends seem OK - I must be THE ONE
I am in the market for one too. so very interested in the responses here.
Buying a scanner is no different from buying a camera. Just as you can't really argue that Canon is better than Nikon (or whatever), there are a lot of good scanners out there. Having said that, i will still assert that you should stay away from any kind of "multipurpose" machine.

It is my opinion that a device that does one thing is usually better made and "better for what it does" than a device that attempts to do a number of things: scan, copy, fax, print, the list goes on.

You have to decide what you want your scanner to do. If you are just "scanning images" (a reflective scan) your decision is easier because you can ignore all the options that include the ability to scan "film" (either negatives or positives). Those scanners that include the ability to scan film/slides cost more than scanners that just do reflective scans.

I'm not going to push one brand, but you should include Epson in your short list. After you decide what you want, if Epson is an option, go to the Epson website and click around to find their "company store". I bought an Epson "4990" and saved over $100 getting a factory reconditioned scanner from that website -- came with the exact same Epson Warranty as a brand new one.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thank you Rusty. I have been trying to track down the Epson 4990 but it seems it is no longer available :?
If anyone knows anywhere here in the UK that stocks it please tell :)
Sue
PSE 7 & PE 3/Lightroom2.4/ Windows Vista Nikon D80 -1 in 4 is mentally unbalanced. Take a look at 3 close friends-if they seem OK-then you're the 1. My friends seem OK - I must be THE ONE
I'm no expert on scanners, but I recently bought an Epson 4490 through amazon.com for $135 US with free shipping. I'm very happy with it, it has a lot of features and is reasonably fast. Depending on what one wants and needs from a scanner, the more expensive 4990 might be a better choice for some.

alpha
Funny you should just post this! I am looking at the 4490 at the moment and think it will suit me fine. :) I can get it for £128.00 here in the UK.
Sue
Rusty's points against all-in-one devices are sound advice... But I did the contrary and am very glad of my choice and the results. May I play the devil's advocate?
My situation was particular: I had a very good (and cumbersome) HP scanner with slides and negatives add-ons, a tray for a pack of 10x15cm pictures to scan. Very good results for normal scanning, so-so for slides and I did not trust the automatic loading of 10x15cm. It suddenly died, after the warranty period. On the other hand, my old HP printer could stand replacement and be used with my wife's laptop.
I was really surprised that for the price I bought my old scanner, I could buy an all-in-one HP C7280 with the following advantages:
- Printing: full A4 paper without margins, 6 inks, which proved to be much quicker and better quality
- scanning: better as a flatbed scanner
- Photocopy with automatic input tray, independent from the computer
- Fax
- Wi-fi provision
... and most of all a lot of space saved on my desk.

I understand why it is more and more difficult to find anything other than all-in-one devices.
- For normal use, the quality of each component is equal to separate components.
- The risk of failure after warranty period is superior, but the replacement price for an up-to-date device is acceptable.

This does not apply of course if you want something special, like slide or negative scanning, A3 printing...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Thank you Michael. I already have 2 printers (one A3 and 12 months old). A flatbed scanner will be fine as I have just the spot for it:) I feel rather guilty buying a new one as I don't scan very much but you can bet your life now I don't have one (that works at the moment) I will want to scan allsorts :roll:
Sue

PS when I do scan it is mainly old family photos to use for scrapbooking
I recently purchased a Canon 8800F scanner and though I haven't had the opportunity to put it through it's paces, the few times I did use it, it performed flawlessly. This scanner replaced my Canon 5000F which served me several years without a problem. The reason I had to buy a new scanner is an interesting one. It all started with the hard drive on my computer going to hard drive heaven or hell where ever defunct hard drives go. That required me to get a new computer and so I purchased an HP 64 bit speed demon, afterwhich, I found out that the 5000F was incompatible. The moral of this story is prior to purchasing a 64 bit computer, research first to find out what functions with 64 bit confugurations. I have also found some software that needs to be updated in order to function. Having said that, I would still buy the 64 bit job, It allows an increase of memory and is a pleasure to use in photo editing, and I really do enjoy Canon's products.
Bill, my reason is similar. Computer had to be replaced and it came with Vista! Which I like but a lot of my older programmes and peripherals wouldn't work and if they did at least not properly. My canon scanner has caused problems and has had to go. Nero doesn't work anymore. Corel Printhouse won't work. I need a firewire for the video camera - the list is endless :x
Sue

PS Bit the bullet and just ordered the epson 4490 :)
13 posts Page 1 of 2