A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Now that I have my new computer set up I would like to move my 2 externals from our old desktop.
Has anyone moved an external before. Will it still recognize the external if I change computers?
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi, if it is a usb connection it should make no different what computer it is hooked up to. Just unplug and plug into the new one. In fact, one of mine was taken into the shop the other day and was plugged into many different computers with no problems.
Be sure you power it off BEFORE you move it.
DH made the mistake of disconnecting it while the power was still on and it became toast! Kind of a costly mistake for us. Good luck with all your transfers.
[size=150][b][color=#4000BF]Linda[/color][/b][/size]
[url=http://www.tootie501.blogspot.com][color=#0000BF]my blog[/color][/url]
[url=http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/?user_id=14677]EIGHT galleries and counting...[/url]
Kimi,

Agree with everything said and would add the following -

The assigned drive letters may be different from system to system. If necessary, you can reasign them on the new system and get the required drive letters set up any way you want.

In addition to powering off the USB, I would recommend always using the Safely Remove Hardware icon that shows up in your SYSTray when you want to unplug a USB disk device.

2008-09-06_095225.jpg
2008-09-06_095225.jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
John
Thanks so much everyone!! I will follow all of the suggestions.
And yes, I want to keep the drive the same letter.

On my list for hubby to do today. Holly's desktop has picked up a virus called "AntiVirus 2008"
He has been fighting for a week to get rid of it. My external are connected to that desktop and I want them moved to my new computer. :bigwink:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
5 posts Page 1 of 1