A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
19 posts Page 2 of 2
hukari wrote: It can drive you to drink. But then I enjoy drinking. :bigwink:

Ah, a kindred soul. :D

Yes, I'm talking about Office 2007. Ugh. Hmmm, I never thought about running Powerpoint as an admin because I just try to open whatever PP attachment is sent to me. I don't have the application, just a viewer.

Courtney
I have decided to stay away from Vista. Although many people report "no problems", too many say otherwise. I continue to chug along with a really old Gateway running XP. This summer I took advantage of a HD crash to max out RAM along with a much bigger internal HD.

My fear with XP is that Microsoft will eventually stop the automatic support to fix glitches. I'm going to try to hang in there for another year or so to wait out the next OS from Microsoft. However, I don't hold out much hope that it will not be a memory hog. Microsoft seems to be incapable of not making everything bigger, better and always full of features that most people don't care anything about.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Vista is garbage. I have a new dual processer computer with 4 gigs of ram and PSE 6 which ran with absolutely no problems on my old computer with Windows XP and less the 1 gig of ram. On the new computer PSE 6 crashes on a regular basis especially if I make the thumbnails in the organizer big enough to see. Get a Mac or wait to see if they come out with a new OS.
Reka, Rusty, Lowbone -- well, some encouraging comments and some not so much.

I called Dell and they said that XP is only available on models where they already had XP drivers before Microsoft made XP no longer available. :? Unfortunately, its not available on the model that I want. :x The two laptops where XP is still available are an Inspiron that has an integrated video card and the other is a 17-inch XPS -- too big and bulky for a "lap"-top! I already have a desktop.

I also read that the next OS after Vista is going to be similar to Vista 64-bit only! :roll: Don't know if that is true or not but they said it came from the Windows Secrets site.
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
I've got 'em both. XP on the desktop and Vista on the laptop. Each has its own quirks to contend with.
Vista loads slower but has a quicker response once it's loaded. 3D imaging is also way better on Vista.(This could be due to a better video card and more RAM.)Just my 2cents worth.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Thanks for your input Chas. I'm leaning towards just going ahead with Vista. I'll be in the same situation as you - XP on my desktop and Vista on the laptop. The 256kb video card and 4mb RAM should be OK for Vista. There have been problems with each operating system that has come along - some of them because it just takes time to get used to anything new/different.
Amy

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
When my wife needed a laptop a little more than one year ago, I could still get XP. Last Summer, our computer in Montreui-Bellay crashed, and there was no choice, so I went with Vista. No real problem up to now, but I have a lot less software installed. I did not see any advantage either...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I had to purchase two computers due to various problems. A new HP desktop and Dell laptop. Both are 64 bit Vista. From what I read 64 bit is the future. The only problems I have had are older hardware and software hangups. My older scanner was not compatible but an upgrade was due anyway. As far as PSE 6 and 7, no problems. The organizer loaded up my catalog nicely and PSE 7 editor loads up in about 15 seconds or less which is a great improvement. Also, the free virus programs provided by AT&T Yahoo also proved incompatible with 64 bit. Past experience with Microsoft makes me think that support of XP will not continue much longer. Computers are lasting longer than in the past and are not quite obsolete a minute after purchasing so I would think long term when purchasing a new computer.....Bill
Michel, Bill - thanks for adding your comments also - so much to think about!
Amy

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
19 posts Page 2 of 2