A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
19 posts Page 1 of 2
I'm considering replacing an "ailing" laptop computer. Dell is currently offering XP on some models, but not the one I'm considering. I'm also thinking that maybe it's time to just "bite the bullet" anyway and make the switch to Vista. My question to VIsta users is .... have you had any problems making the transition from XP and have you encountered any problems with Photoshop or Elements and Vista? And, now that you have Vista would you rather be able to go back to XP?

Any comments pro or con will be greatly appreciated.
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
NOPE.......stay away. It's a memory hog and I hate it for that. It's great eye candy but that is about it. I would stick to XP for the stability and the usage. I get freeze ups on CS3/CS4/PSE6 all the time. Found out it's vista and the Dell I have can't handle it even though I have 4 gb of ram.

My advise is to RUN far away from Vista.....
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
I agree with Jen, it is a memory hog. I have been shopping around for one myself and after all my research, I will go Mac or wait for the next OS!
Amy, contact Dell. If they don't have XP offered you can usually get it anyway.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Hi,
According to the gurus at Windows Secrets (featuring veteran Windows guys such as Brian Livingston and Fred Langa), WinPatrol (featuring "Scotty the Windows Watchdog") and others, there will be a new Windows OS appearing in about a year, "Windows 7". These guys all say that "7" should be hugely better than Vista.

The two links above are worth keeping if you're even a little bit geeky, and WinPatrol is a very nice system monitor app that will tell you lots more than you knew you didn't know. Errr...that is, lots more that you didn't know...I mean...oh, nevermind. You know what I'm saying.

Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
My Dell computer is coming up on 1 year old and it came with Vista. I have not had any problems with PSE (or PS the few times I used it.) I hate, hate, hate the changes in MS Word that came with Vista. Maybe you'll get that even it you can get XP, I don't know. Vista has made it impossible for me to run Powerpoint presentations. I tried to solve it, but since the only Powerpoint files I get are the occasional mass mailings, I just live without viewing those. On a few websites I can no longer open documents because Vista's stupid security conflicts with the way the website does its security. This is when I'm trying to view my financial statements online. So yes, I wish I still had XP. But Vista is only a problem once in awhile for me, not a daily problem.

Courtney
Jen, Shari - thanks for your comments. I was hoping for better news,
Courtney - thanks - your experiences with Vista are a little better but still not great.
Steve - thanks for the heads-up on Windows 7. That sounds encouraging for the future.
Kim - thanks for the suggestion. On-line they offer WinXP on the 17" XPS Laptop or 15" Inspiron, but not the 15" XPS - which is what I want. I'll give your suggestion a try.
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
Hi Courtney,
Have you tried the freestanding Powerpoint Viewer which is a free download from Microsoft?

I don't have a clue about whether it will work for you, but it might be worth a look.

Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
Thanks Steve. Yes, I tried it, but I still always get an error message. I don't even remember now what the error is... you can tell it isn't a priority for me. :)

Courtney
Amy, I cannot say I have had any major problems with Vista. All of my software runs okay, except for having to tweak the settings on one of my favorite games. And I mean even old software. The main thing for me is all of the pop up windows: "Is this software trusted?" "Do you really want to do this?" "Are you sure?" "Are you really sure?" It reminds me of that Internet site friends would send you to where you had to click a thousand times to get out of it. With the new SP, it now informs me that ZIP files can be dangerous and asks me if I really want to use that file. :roll: :evil: It can drive you to drink. But then I enjoy drinking. :bigwink:

As far as memory, I have only 2GB and I can have ACDSee, Photoshop (with several photos or a huge PSD open), Firefox and maybe a few smaller progs going with no great problem. Don't know why, but I am thankful that my system runs so well.

Courtney, are you talking about Office 2007 or Vista? As far as Office goes, it has steadily been getting worse, IMHO. It aims to second guess the user's intentions...well, I must be a weird user (No comments, please!) because it usually does the opposite of what I want. :? I suppose you have tried running PowerPoint as an admin, right?
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
19 posts Page 1 of 2