A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
11 posts Page 1 of 2
Some of my canon batteries are giving out. I have always bought canon but they are expensive. Are there any good genertic batteries out there that anyone can recommend???
I don't have any specific brand to recommend. But I use both OEM and generic's in my camera since I have 6. I have noticed that the generics have about 90% the duration of the factory OEM. When I was hunting I noticed that you have to watch the ratings carefully to make sure you get what you think you are buying. I have found that different vendors will list a battery and the milliamp ratings will be quite different. I have seen them listed from 1200 mAmp to 1500 mAmp for my camera. Even the the voltage will be the same. They will all work but with one you get 20% more storage and usually the price is hardly any difference. So I make sure I get the most bang for my buck.

RonH
Before I was just tired now I'm retired!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/23789
I have both Canon and third party equivalents for the Canon BP511 which goes on my G6 and 20D. From my past experience with Fuji and compatible batteries for my old Fuji, I did not expect a lifetime of more than 3 years and the Fuji were clearly better. Now, all of my BP511 and compatible are still in good state (4 years +) and there is not a noticeable difference.
I checked today's prices: 79 euros for Canon instead of 56 for Eforce. The difference in price may be justified, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.
(PS I have worked for an automobile battery manufacturer for 35 years... got bought by Johnson Controls not long ago. Last news: the French factory will be closed next year. I am a bit fed up with the word battery now.)
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I have a G6 and 30D and they both use the same battery. I recently went checking and found another battery made by LENMAR. That battery is one also used by many Canon movie cams and there are after market ones made that have a higher am rating than does Canons. In Canada, the Canon brand one goes for about 120.00 as opposed to $40.00 for the higher rated one I purchased.

Hmn, just checked the price and it has jumped to $65.00

Anyway, a good deal.
John
I've had pretty good luck with generics from http://www.sterlingtek.com. Much cheaper than the Canon OEM batteries, and they seem to hold up well. Waiting patiently for Sterlingtek to come out with a spare for my G10 - a brand new style battery with no initial competition.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Thanks guys, I will check out the brands you all mentioned. Two of mine are 3 or 4 years old and are holding the charge as well as they did. Time to invest in new ones.
Suzi, I'll second Chuck's recommendation of Sterlingtek. I've used their batteries for several years now and never had a problem. Their prices are good and the service is very speedy. By the way, I have a Canon.

Anita
Chuck and Anita, I have been looking at the site you suggested but have a question?? Which is the better one to buy the 1200 mah or the 1700 one??
I would go with the 1700 mAh battery. Theoretically, the larger the mAh rating, the longer the battery will last under the same power draw conditions.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
1700 absolutely. I come from the "More Power" crowd.

RonH
Before I was just tired now I'm retired!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/23789
11 posts Page 1 of 2