A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
19 posts Page 2 of 2
To manually change the size of virtual memory, follow these steps:

1. Right click My Computer on the desktop, then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.
3. Click the Advanced tab in the new window, and then under Virtual memory click Change.
4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
VM-setting.jpg
VM-setting.jpg (69.59 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

** 5. Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
6. Click OK to close the dialog box and apply changes.
7. Reboot the PC to make the changes affective.

** If you want to move the paging file from the C drive to another drive, there are some additional steps to follow:
5. With the C drive highlighted (see the picture, drives E and F are my EHD's). click the radial button that says "No Paging File", then click "Set".
6. Highlight the drive you want to move the paging file to, then click Custom Size.
7. Enter the values in the two boxes that you want to set the paging file to, then click Set.
(Make sure you click Set at step 5 also, or the change will not be applied to that drive. You can go back and redo it if you need to.)
8. Click OK to apply the changes until you close out the System Properties box completely.
9. Reboot the computer to implement the changes.

Remember, though, if you are making an EHD drive hold the paging file, that drive should always be connected to the PC (and its drive letter constant) or you will get errors that the PC cannot find the paging file. If this is a drive you only connect as needed, it should not be used.

Why is my page file still on my C drive even though MS recommends it not be on the same drive as the OS?

Do you always do what Mr. Gates says to do? :bigwink: Seriously, though. It's the fastest drive in my system right now. If I had another internal drive installed, it would be there.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Gene - how did you get your OS to take more than 4096? My balks and refused to allow me anything above 4096. Do you have 64 bit Windows XP? One thing I did (as an experiment) is leave the paging file on my C drive but also set up one on my external hard drive. I'll be curious to see if having two helps LR. Also, I'll be curious to see if I get an error message when booting that my paging file is missing if I turn off my external. I'm going to go try that now.

OK - no problem booting with the external drive off. So, I should be able to just turn the external on when I start to work in LR/PSE. I hope it improves performance of the local adjustment brush in LR.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
As you can see by the jpg in my above post near the bottom of it, the system recommends a minimum of 4990. I have 4G installed, but XP Pro only recognizes 3.25G of it. I am using XP Pro 32 bit version.

I did find an article on Microsoft's site about their being a 4095 MB limit to the page file. You can read that article here and it includes workarounds to increase that limit. I'll be honest, though, I have not applied either of those to my machine. Why can I do it and others have problems? I don't honestly know. I'm not finding anything to explain that. Now I do have XP SP3 installed, but I don't see where that limitation is addressed with that. The article I linked is dated Oct. 26, 2007, long before SP3 came out. I will keep digging.

To get to where you can edit the boot.ini file, do Start -> Run -> msconfig and it will bring up a window with the boot.ini file in it. You can also change what starts up when you start Windows in the Startup tab.

And I guess you can scratch my statement about not using an EHD that is not always connected. It looks like you have already proven that one wrong! :oops:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

Gene, I have two internal drives both the same size 1000gb, one is just used as a scratch disk for photoshop. So, if I understand you correctly, i should put my paging on that drive and not my "C" drive.
I have two internal drives both the same size 1000gb, one is just used as a scratch disk for photoshop. So, if I understand you correctly, i should put my paging on that drive and not my "C" drive.

That is the recommendation I have read from a couple different sources while looking at this, yes.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

Ok, going to print up your instructions and do it in the morning. Thanks so much for your help.
One quick last question. Everything I have read today says that minimum and maximum numbers should be the same. I see that is what you have done, so I am quessing that is correct, right??? Or should I do like John's post with 2 different numbers??
Either will work. I have been told by a colleague of mine at work who does a lot more work on PCs than I do that by setting the min/max numbers the same it will help prevent the page file from becoming fragmented by allocating the same HD space and keeping it the same at all times, instead of increasing and decreasing that space as needed. As with fragmentation of any sort, it can become a performance issue if it gets to extremes. I have had mine set this way for awhile and not had any problems with it. I also read on the Elder Geek site and he is of the opinion that with installed memory of over 1G, a larger page file may not be completely necessary. But he gives advice on how to check memory usage so you can make a determination on that. He does say, however, that if you use graphics intensive software such as CAD or image editing (a favorite among forum members here :D ) that you may want a larger page file. If you have the HD space for it, which most of us seem to have plenty, I see no harm in following MS's recommendations for at least a minimum sized page file. That would be up to you, and ultimately though, on how your machine performs based on your usage and the settings you choose.

Pardon me now. I found a hack to rename the Start button on the Elder Geek site and I need to reboot....
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

genevh wrote: And I guess you can scratch my statement about not using an EHD that is not always connected. It looks like you have already proven that one wrong! :oops:

I hope you didn't think I was trying to prove you wrong! :oops: I just wanted to try it since I don't regularly keep my EHD running. I've yet to figure out if it will help me any in LR.

I'm off to read the link you posted abut overriding the max.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Nope - didn't think that at all. Pulled that one out of the cobwebs somewheres......I guess I have some housecleaning to do! :doh:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

19 posts Page 2 of 2