A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
19 posts Page 1 of 2
The warning has been popping up alot lately. What does it mean and is it a bad thing?? If so how can I fix it.

Suzi, click here
This is probably the issue
Suzi - this should make your life easier: http://www.delete-computer-history.com/ ... emory.html
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Thanks guys, I have checked out both. Found out that the problem child is photoshop!!! Now what to do with it, is the next question.
Suzi,

What is the virtual memory page size setting on your computer and how much physical RAM do you have?

I seem to recall that you have issues with your scratch disk in Photoshop also.

From your screen print, you are experiencing this while Lr is running, what else do you have open at the same time?
John
John the page size is 2065 and I have 3.5gb of ram. The other thing running besides LR and photoshop was the internet. I also have a 1000gb scratch drive.
Suzi,

The general rule of thumb is that the initial size is double the physical memory and the maximum size is double that. For my 2G system I have it set as follows:

ScreenShot00029.jpg
ScreenShot00029.jpg (80.77 KiB) Viewed 1863 times

I think the max that XP can see is 3GB, so I would set it at 6144 and a max of 12288
John
Arrgh...I just realized I never reset my paging file size after installing more RAM!!

And MS recommends at least 1.5X installed memory for the minimum paging file size. More is OK, but you don't want to eat up too much of your hard drive with it either.

XP recommendations and how to set it are here.

Vista recommended settings are a bit different. They recommend the minimum page file at RAM + 300 Meg and the max at 3X the installed amount of RAM. So if you have 2G of RAM, your minimum should be set at 2.3G, and the max to 6G. You can find that information here.

More doesn't hurt, as long as you meet the minimums. Mine wasn't at minimum the last few months!!! It might explain some of the slow downs I've been seeing, but I haven't been getting any memory errors. Just lucky I guess, but when I check how much is actually being used, I rarely see the installed RAM coming close to being exceeded.

MS also recommends keeping the virtual memory on a different HD than the OS is installed.

Another tip: in order to keep your virtual memory space on your HD from becoming fragmented, set your minimum and maximum values the same. That way, that amount of space will always be set aside by your OS instead of growing and shrinking as needed, which can cause the fragmentation.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Gene, can you explain how to go about putting it on another drive and how to change the settings. I am using xp pro.
Suzi -
Right click on My Computer
Left click on Properties
Click on the Advanced tab
Under Performance, click Settings
Under Advanced, click Change (Change is down at the bottom under Virtual Memory)
You'll See your current paging file on the C drive. You can set the initial and maximum size there if you want to keep one on the C drive.........I've got 3 GB Ram, but XP Pro will only allow me to set a max paging file size of 4096, so I've got it set at that. After you've changed the one on your C drive if you're going to keep one there, click on the letter for your external drive and set it. Again, I had to keep mine at 4096. Set up as many more as you want and then click OK. You'll have to restart your computer.

PS - The maximum supported RAM either real or virtual is 4GB on 32-bit operating systems. If you've got 64 bit Windows, I bet you can have a larger paging file.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
19 posts Page 1 of 2