A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
13 posts Page 2 of 2
My computer guru warned me not to put SP3 on the computer. She really is an expert, has her own company, and says that most of her clients have had problems with that Service Pack.

Hope your 'fix' will take care of the problem.

Tennie
genevh wrote: Hmmm....late to the party, but it looks like John found the fix. I've never seen that one before, myself.

Would be interested to know also if you are able to set your paging file larger than 4096?

It also doesn't hurt to "scrub" you registry once in a while. There are some good programs out there to do that with, and some are free. The one I use is RegSeeker which is free and has not given me any problems. There are others.

And as always - backup the registry before editing it, and set a restore point also. Better to be safe than sorry.

Gene, Does this registry cleaner do it's 'own thing' or would I have to know what I'm doing to use it? As far as techical computer things go, I can turn it on and off real well! :oops:

Tennie
Does this registry cleaner do it's 'own thing' or would I have to know what I'm doing to use it?

You can let it it do its own thing by clicking the Auto Clean button on the "Clean the Registry" window or just hit OK and once it goes through the registry it will let you pick and choose what you want it to remove or not. It can back up the registry for you automatically, or you can do that yourself. I would recommend also setting a restore point so in case something does mess up, you can have the computer start up in its last known configuration that worked. But, if you aren't comfortable doing this sort of stuff, you may not want to. I have to warn you that editing the registry can be dangerous as the PC depends on it to run everything. My experience with this program so far has been positive, but there are no guarantees here! :puter:

Hope your 'fix' will take care of the problem.

This thread has branched a bit, so I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Yes, a lot of people have had problems with SP3. I'm not one of them, though, as it has been pretty stable for me and I installed it months ago.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
13 posts Page 2 of 2