A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
11 posts Page 1 of 2
HI as you'r all aware by now I.T. is not my thing .my new computer is an HP DESK TOP,it s complete with a pocket media drive.I'v only been using my computer for a few months and allready I get the prompt to do a back up of my files and catalogue when ever I add new pics.
The sales person told me that I would be able to use this pocket media just the same as an external HD,so does that mean I can put all my pics onto this pocket drive to free up the space on the main desk top c drive ,but ,if I insert the pocker drive I can then drag/send the pic I want to work on to pse5,wich is stored on my main HD.
Hope this makes sense to anyone out there,no instructions were inluded on using this pocket drive either,and the store where I purchased it has been useless at getting back to me.
MIN.
min,

I have been using an HP laptop since Christmas, but dont know what exactly this pocked drive thing is. Sounds it might be a memory stick/flash drive/jump drive/thumb drive/ whatever. These things are relatively low capacity although there are some that go up to 100 Gb etc.

Figure this - if it is small enough to fit in your pocket, it is small enough to loose, break.

The secret in guarding your photos is multiple backups on multiple EHDs and then kept in different locations in case of fire/theft. Circulate and refresh them and then you will probably be O.K. - emphasis on probably.

Thumb drives, go bad, so also do hard drives. I always used to tell people I never had one go bad. Last fall I had one fail that was 6 months old and only used for periodic backups. I had multiple copies, replaced it and generated another copy and forgot about it.

Hope this helps.
John
Hi Min. Looked up HP Pocket Drive. You can do exactly what you ask with it. Store your photos on it and just drag them to Elements to work on.

If your computer wants to do a backup even though you have only had it a few months. Do it. My laptop is only 7 months old and my hard drive crashed this week. My external hard drive us full and I didn't have a back up. Hoping the data on the crashed hard drive can be recovered as I have a lot of photos on it. From now on I plan to do a backup at least once a week.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Uh, yeah just found it. It is an external USB that fits inside the HP system. Same cautions though, these things can fail.
John
Angelickim,I was so sorry to read what happened hun,in fact thats what got me a little worried,when I look at how much space is on my c drive there is loads,but then I see there are quite a few people that have probs with there lap tops/desk tops,I wouldnt have a clue what to do execpt cry !.I will get some back up discs as well as using the pocket drive.
Thanks so much for your' help.
regards
min.
After my last post here I got a message on my comp that I needed to do a systems back up ,like two weeks ago!!.
Have shot out bought dvds, and made my recovery discs,& put everything onto the pocket driver.you were right hun its worked really well,thank goodness,have also de fragmented,& cleaned disc space.Feel a lot happier now!!.
MIN :thumbsup:
Good for you Min. I am going tomorrow to get a new ehd and some more DVD's. Won't make this mistake ever again.

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Well you know that stupid saying -''you learn by your' mistakes'',well in that case my my i.q. is astronomically huge hun!!!.
On Sat I was unloading one of my companys lorries,they have a tail lift that raises you to the hight of the lorry,you wheel large cages of goods onto the tail lift,lower the said tail lift and step of at ground level,thats easy to remember isnt it ??.
Unless you'r me,I completely forgot to bring the tail gait lift back up, walked to the back of the lorry,dragged a heavy cage of goods to the end ....and promptly stepped into mid air,LOL luckily I landed on my feet or I should say one foot and a sore ankle and away from the now bent cage.that memory of suddenly flying through the air gives me the giggles now ,but at the time I can say it was not a pleasant experiance!! :rotfl:
my point being, I wont be making that mistake again either hun!!
Oh no, I hope you are OK. The bad part is that I did order a new external hard drive but it was on back order so I cancelled it and was going to go get one but didn't make it out to get it.

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
yes thank you hun,and heres to having no more :puter: probs either, :toast: .
MIN.
11 posts Page 1 of 2