A place to discuss the tools you use - printers, scanners, software etc...
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi All,

KC started a thread on 11/9 about scanners that other members use and recommend. I added a thread questioning whether it might be a good idea to have threads for different "tools" that members could refer to when they are looking to upgrade. I think Jane added this 'Tools & Accessories" as a result of those two posts. So to follow that up, if you're interested, please post:

- the make and model of your scanner
- if it scans photos, slides or both
- a simple rating of 1 (very unsatisfied) to 5 (very satisfied)
- any pros/cons you want to add about the model

If we get enough replies, I'll tab the results and perhaps Jane can post the results as a 'sticky' on the top of this thread. If this is something forum users are interested in we can add threads for printers, cameras, etc. as a reference for other forum users.

Amy
I might as well get this started. I have an Epson Perfection 2400. It scans both photos and slides. I'd rate it about a 4 on a scale of 1 to 5. I'm satisfied with it but the scanned results seem to be a little 'softer' than the original. But, nothing that PSE can't fix!
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
Hi Amy,

I use an Epson 4990 which takes negatives, slides, photos, etc. I would would rate this scanner as a "5" as I use it for scanning a old photos which produces excellent images before beginning the restoration process. Between the scanner and the software that comes with the unit you can produce an great scan. Check out the Epson Clearance Store as they have very good prices on the "4990".
http://www.epson.com/

John
Howdy:
I would like to suggest to extend this seccion to include the following organized by category:
1-Cameras, both DSLR and Point and shoot 2 categories
2- Lenses normal,wideangle and telephoto 3 categaries
3- Printers by size upto 13x19 then upto 16x20 and the 24" and up "pro" type that will probide 3 clasifications so when you want to buy a printer you just look in to the size you are interested in.
4- Scanners should be classified in 3 categories print only and print and film and film only. We know if it do film it do slides.
5-Desktop computers
6-Monitors
7-Laptops
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Hi Dondiego,

That was the intent for the Tools & Accessories section, but I thought we'd start with one item, scanners, and then add new sections after that. So far, there has not been much response.

I'll expand the original thread on scanners to include the categories you suggest but I first wanted to make sure that I understand. By 'print' I assume you mean photos or documents. Does 'film' refer to both negatives and slides? I thought some scanners can do slides but not negatives. Is it a negative/slide only category that you want added.

Thanks!
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
Give the topic some time. Now if you asked what camera everyone prefers...I think the thread would be inundated with suggestions! I am going to look into the Epson scanners...there were three mentioned in the other thread. I have an Epson photo printer and am very pleased with it. My scanner, however, is a dated Dell all in one which hopefully will become a "Christmas casualty". ;)
I have a Visioneer One Touch 8920, an older (about 2 years old) scanner that scans prints, documents, etc, as well as faxes. It will also scan negatives as well as slides, it has two different slates for these purposes as well the top white plate in the lid has to be removed. It isn't a high end scanner but it does a really good job. My Dad gave it to me because he couldn't figure it out.

I agree with KC, if you had started out with cameras or printers you would have gotten alot quicker responses.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Kim,
I agree with you. I think this section "tools" is an important part of the forum as we can then focus on a specific type tool to be discussed. I know when I was looking for a Wacom, I look at number of different threads to find information about pros & cons of models, sizes or brands. Having a primary site will really help us all when looking for new toys.

John
Hi,
"Tools" is a great idea for a topic.

Speaking of scanners, I've got an Epson 4490, which is sort of a dinosaur, but does a good job on flat stuff. The scanner includes film and slide holders, but the 35mm holder is a bit flimsy and does a poor job holding film that is cupped. It holds up to a strip of 6 negatives, but without doing anything about flattening. I have somewhere around 4 bazillion ancient 35mm negatives that are less than flat and when I put them in the Epson, the film itself sometimes touches the glass. This causes Newton's Rings, or something similar, which are a Major Pain to clone away.

I finally surrendered and got a Plustek OpticFilm 7200 (which may have been supplanted by now). It's a dedicated film scanner and it will accept 35mm film or mounted transparencies. The film holders are much heavier and do a better job of holding the film flat.

The OpticFilm comes with software called "Silverfast" which has a lot of bells, whistles, and flash mini-tutes narrated by a guy with a sort of German accent. You can do lots of processing before the scan, or just download your pictures and go to work. They will download right to PSE 5's Editor, which is convenient.

All in all this is a pretty good scanner, especially for under $200USD.

Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
Dear Amy:
The reality is that there are 3 types of scanners:
1-pictures and documents
2-pictures, documents and negative film and slides
3-Film and Slides only flat bed and drum type
I thought it will be good to separate them by category to simplify the search and understanding of features.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
16 posts Page 1 of 2