Found a great tutorial that you'd like to share? Post it here!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Just attended my first Kelby Training seminar yesterday. I can't say I was disapointed at all. I learned quite a bit, but quite a bit of what Scott went over I already knew for the most part, but he had a number of little tips that I found helpful... stuff they sometimes leave out of the tuts. It was much more like being in a class than watching a tutorial because you really couldn't follow along and do it in PS while it was going on like you can with a tutorial. You pretty much followed along with what he was saying and took it all in. It was good though to watch him do it all in real time... including the mistakes. It's good to know even Scott Kelby needs to Ctrl+Z once in a while. They handed out a workbook which had the all the lessons in them which made the seminar worth it, because it would have been impossible to take enough notes to remember it all from beginning to end. I've heard it said, and I'll have to agree, they got a bit commercial in between sessions, but then again you have to remember they are out to make a profit. I didn't buy anything extra though. I figure I have enough learning materials to last me for a while. I don't need another book or DVD that's going to sit on the shelf for six months till I catch up with the ones I already have.

One thing I already knew, but was reinforced yesterday, a need to sharpen my photography skills, especially when it comes to portraiture photography. I definetly want to go to more seminars when I can, but think I will try to take one on lighting or some other aspect of photography rather than Photoshop. I need to concentrate more on getting the image right when I hit the shutter release than trying to correct it in PS.
Gary
D7000, D90, D200 ...and plenty of lenses.
"[i]Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/i]"
Thanks so much for the summary of the sessions. Now, I have an idea of what to expect, should I ever consider attending.
The seminars are a bit pricey. However, you indicate that it was a good investment. Good news! Are you planning to attend more in the future?
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
bjt wrote: Thanks so much for the summary of the sessions. Now, I have an idea of what to expect, should I ever consider attending.
The seminars are a bit pricey. However, you indicate that it was a good investment. Good news! Are you planning to attend more in the future?

Yeah, when and if I get time, but next time I won't bother taking my laptop. Like I said there wasn't any way to follow along in PS. They are a bit pricey and it might not be worth it for many of you.
Gary
"[i]Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/i]"
Gary, if you are looking for something on portraiture and/or lighting, check out the offerings of local schools. All of them seem to have figured out that non-credit education, usually evening classes, is a good way to pull in some money.

University of Wisconsin has a community college branch in Waukesha ten miles from my house. They always have offerings related to photography and I have taken two classes. They usually cost less than a hundred bucks. The ones I took met in the evening, three nights for one, four nights for the other, about 2 hours each time; one had a field trip. I look at their current offerings and see two different classes on studio lighting.

I was all excited about the opportunity to take a class in October taught by a retired, award winning Milwaukee Journal photographer ... Photojournalism. This was going to be two classroom sessions, then a weekend fieldtrip to a nearby mountain bike competition, than a final classroom meeting to critique our work. Sounded pretty darned good to me. Alas, they didn't get enough sign-ups to "make it pay" so the class was cancelled. It will be offered again is the spring -- I have hopes.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty wrote: I was all excited about the opportunity to take a class in October taught by a retired, award winning Milwaukee Journal photographer ... Photojournalism. This was going to be two classroom sessions, then a weekend fieldtrip to a nearby mountain bike competition, than a final classroom meeting to critique our work. Sounded pretty darned good to me. Alas, they didn't get enough sign-ups to "make it pay" so the class was cancelled. It will be offered again is the spring -- I have hopes.

Rusty

Wow, that does sound like a great class and that's not a bad way to go for myself. There are a great number of professionals here in the philly area and I'm guessing more than enough classes to chose from considering the number of colleges here. It would be just a matter of finding the right class to fit my schedule.

Thanks for the idea,
Gary
We have an Arts Center here in Durham that offers classes like that pretty regularly, but with my current work schedule being what it is, I can't go to them. I would really like to, though. Maybe things will change for me once my work situation is settled.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
6 posts Page 1 of 1