For those that have finally seen the light!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm finally starting to play with Lightroom, and I had a really good experience with it today.

The problem: I took several dozen photos indoors under fluorescent light with no flash. While I had set the WB control to fluorescent, there was still a bit of a greenish cast to the photos - all of them.

The Lightroom solution:
1. Adjust the white balance for the one of the photos. In my case, the eyedropper did the trick.
2. Click on the Copy button in lower left of Develop screen. In the popup, turn off all check marks except White balance in the pop-up screen. Click Copy to exit the popup.
3. Go to the Film Strip. Select all the photos in which you want to apply the new white balance setting. (Shift-Click or Ctrl-Click as in any Windows app)
4. Click on the SYNC button at the lower right. DONE. Total elapsed time: a few minutes

These instructions come from "Photoshop Lightroom Adventure", a new book by Mikkel Aaland, who was my favorite Elements author back in the 'early days'. His new work is excellent and also includes numerous photos from the Lightroom Iceland Adventure, a convening of photographers to try out the as-yet unreleased Lightroom. Highly recommended!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Great to hear it Chuck :D As I said I like light room a fair bit, It . I handles raw quite nicely, far more simply than Elements does.
I would definitely refer you to the pod casts that Matt K does on light room they are quite informative and FREE :shock: is good too.
Nikon D300/PSE6/CS4/LR2/Vista/Firefox
Chuck:
Glad to see this section for LR. I love it! To tell you the truth, I use Lightroom 90% and Elements 10% of the time. I now use elements mustly for spoting and resizing for web. The printing module is incredible.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Does anyone know if LR remembers those settings if you use the Copy button in the Develop module? My problem with that would be if I were editing another batch of pictures and just hit the Sync button. Would those same settings be applied to the 2nd batch? (this is assuming I made no changes to a photo in the new batch first)

I don't use the copy button. Once I've made changes to the first photo in a group, and want to apply those to additional photos, I just select the additional photos then hit the Sync button. This brings up the same selections box, which I then make my choices and then apply them to the rest of the photos. One less button to hit, and LR (as far as I know) doesn't remember the settings either.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
True to Photoshop form there are a number of ways of doing the same thing. For instance in this case you could also set up a Develop Preset for a specific White Balance or any other settings. Then in the Library Module you can use the Painter Tool and select the Develop Preset and then spray this over any of the thumbnails you need to apply it to.

The Sync Button uses the settings from the previous Copy. Again Photoshop giving you more than one way to do the same thing. There's also the Previous button. :)

Colin

As usual...which is a good thing!

I haven't set up any presets yet as most of my shooting lately has been of the "out walking around" type and conditions are rarely the same from one shoot to the next. So I process one and sync the settings to the others that are similar.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Gene...

The only preset I've set up and use on Import is Sharpening. I find the Canon 400D just needs a little extra than what LR applies as default.

BTW: Does anyone get any email notifications of replies - I don't see any!

Colin