For those that have finally seen the light!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi - I'm trying to get into working with photos again. I am not sure where I should post this question. I have been holding off getting a new computer because a lot of people I know have been having trouble with Vista. I have the LR beta, CS3 and quite a few plugins. I still have PSE5. Everything works fine but I notice things slow down a bit when using lightroom then CS3 then PSE Edges. I am probably ready for a new computer (although I think I will wait until August when the new version of LR is available). This is 3 years old. Has anyone had any BAD experiences with using Lightroom and CS3 with Vista? Thanks.
Shari
Hi Shari,

If you are the Shari I hope you are (Vancouver?) --- nice to see you here.

My 'puter is 5+ years old and I was afraid I was going to have to bite the bullet and spend lots of money for a new one. "Lots" = because those of us doing what we do need a lot more than the "basic box" all the stores push to use to send emails and cruise the internet. I took mine to a local "white box store" and, for a few hundred bucks made significant increases in RAM and HD size. It's humming along with no problems. Probably not as good as a brand new one with all the bells and whistles, but I'm satisfied.

I'm still running "XP" and, if it matters, I don't have near as much on it as you do: PSE5, Microsoft Office Suite and ACDC. That's about it: no CS, no Lightroom.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Welcome to the forum, shari. I have xp so no help there but I have not hear of any issues with those programs and vista
I'm thinking the same thing...

Are you our Shari??? If you are, WE MISS YOU SO MUCH!
You will find a lot of CS3 info here.

If you are not "our Shari", welcome anyway! :biggrin:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Thanks everyone. Yep - it's me. I'm just getting back to this again. I am happy to see there is a CS and Lightroom forum here - that is all I am using these days. Rusty, I did have more HD and RAM installed. Things will go great for a while then my computer starts freezing. Actually I would really like to get a Mac but I have invested too much in software for PC. I would have to buy it all over again. I have everything the way I want it and a lot of plugins installed that I am afraid I might lose if Vista does not accept them.
It would be nice to hear of someone who got a new computer with Vista and had everything on their hard drive switched over with no problems. Thanks again.
Shari
Girl..... I AM SENDING YOU A HUGE HUG!!!! :woohoo:

I think of you often...
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I made the plunge and purchased a new computer with Vista. Believe me, my photog friends were cringing....but so far so good and I'm one that will run everything on it.... CS3, PSE6 and Premiere Lightroom v1.4 and Beta v2, Coral Painter, tons of plug-ins, actions, you name. So far so good. The only bad thing that has happened so far was that my bunny bit through my AC adapter.... I'll find the thread that I started when I inquired about this as well..... I'll get back later....
Here you go, Shari.....

http://www.photoshopcreativeelements.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2977

I bought the Dell XPS M1530 fully loaded, built it myself with the wonderful help of Gene, and got as top of the line as I could get with this computer. I did want the XPS 1750, but hubbie saw the quote and freaked out.

Shari, its you!!!!! Hugs from me too!!!

BTW, I just attended a professional photographers meeting this week and everyone has a mac....I'm like you, I've invested so much on the Windows platform that it would cost me thousands to switch over.
Also, the VISTA platform is my laptop. I still have my dell desktop that I upgraded still on an XP platform using CS2 and Pse5 and everything else as my main computer. The laptop will be used for travel, workshops and onsite sales presentations, consultations, etc....

Good luck, let me know if I can help in any way.
I chickened out and had my new laptop from the company who deal with our work computers, with XP.

Lovely laptop and I'm really pleased with my new camera = on, on the whole with PSE 6 = but whoever thought of black on dark grey?! Ultimately I want to learn to use camera RAW (and my camera settings).

It's great to see you back, Shari. I do hope things are improving.
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
Shari, It's wonderful to see you here. :woohoo: I have Vista on my laptop which has CS3 installed on it, with lots of plugins. No problems at all. Hope to see you here often.

Anita
10 posts Page 1 of 1