For those that have finally seen the light!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi - I have just downloaded LR2. I did not have an earlier version. There is a place where I can import from PSE 5 or earlier. It says importing from a large elements caralogue may take a long time. Do you want to continue?

So my question is - do I have to import all my elements catalogue (over 4000 photos) or can I just import some of my collections and tags?

I am a little dumb in this area. If I import all the photos from the organizer into LR2 and leave my PSE 5 organizer in tact does this take up extra room on my HD. I am fine with this desk top computer for space but I don't know that I really want all those photos on my notebook. I am just getting back to all this stuff and I feel like I have forgotten an awful lot.

PS In the health department I am feeling pretty good. No more tests until September and they are just to keep a check on me. I just today had an interview with a personal trainer and I get started with her in about three weeks - so the old me will be back!
Shari
well, I can't answer your question. It will be interesting to see what responses you get.
I have moved to shooting in raw. I know I don't want to import my organizer images into LR. I am ok with them staying where they are. Besides, that would mean double images on your system.

I am only going to import my Bridge images (which are my raw images) and then delete everything out of bridge and stop using it.
If you want everything in one place, I would do it on the desktop but not the laptop. I would work to keep that nice and clean.

... there is my 2 cents. :bigwink:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
You are right Kimi. This notebook drives me crazy because I am not used to the mouse pad. I am planning to shoot in raw soon. I was worried about the space it takes to save your photos on your HD. So much to learn in this so called hobby of mine!!!
Shari
Kimi,

Do Not delete anything from Bridge.

Bridge is a File Explorer like Windows Explorer. If you start deleting, you will remove your pictures, etc permanently from your hard drive.
John
shari wrote:
So my question is - do I have to import all my elements catalogue (over 4000 photos) or can I just import some of my collections and tags?

I am a little dumb in this area. If I import all the photos from the organizer into LR2 and leave my PSE 5 organizer in tact does this take up extra room on my HD. I am fine with this desk top computer for space but I don't know that I really want all those photos on my notebook. I am just getting back to all this stuff and I feel like I have forgotten an awful lot.

PS In the health department I am feeling pretty good. No more tests until September and they are just to keep a check on me. I just today had an interview with a personal trainer and I get started with her in about three weeks - so the old me will be back!
Shari

Shari,

Glad to hear that you are feeling good!

As to what and how to import into Lightroom, I would be inclined to say import all of it. In time you will use nothing but Lr and then you will wind up going that way anyway. As to the extra space, the extra will become what elements is using for the Organizer and thumbnail cache. I have long ago stopped using the Organizer and gotten rid of it so I don't know how much space it is using, but my current Lr catalogue is about 1.3 Gb with 4,500 images.
John
jlwilm wrote: Kimi,

Do Not delete anything from Bridge.

Bridge is a File Explorer like Windows Explorer. If you start deleting, you will remove your pictures, etc permanently from your hard drive.

Hi John...
got your PM.

So really.... I am stuck with all those images in Bridge???? :oops:
I have everything on an external drive. I'm not going to be able to import all of my images into LR and then get rid of the ones in Bridge?

Not there yet... I have 2 listing and something is going to have to sell before I can spend anymore money.
Thanks for the heads up!!

Shari, once you start shooting raw.... you won't go back!!!
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi,

They aren't really in Bridge, nor in Lightroom.

There is a bit of an overhead that both of these programs impose, and Lr is more than Bridge in terms of this, but insignificant in terms of the oodles of space taken up by your images themselves.

Lets take it a step further.

You wouldn't delete all of your images from the Windows Explorer (My Computer icon, My Documents icon, My Network Places icon) after importing them into Lightroom because these programs are showing you the underlying structure of what is stored on your hard drive.

Bridge is just like Windows Explorer - it is reading the structure of your hard drive and displaying it for you. If you want proof of that, in Bridge click on View, Show Hidden Files and you will see exactly what you see in Windows Explorer and if you have say a Word document and double click it, It will launch Word or whatever and start processing.

Lightroom is like Elements Organizer - another application that builds indexes and thumbnails of your images, can only handle image like data. If you delete an image from Organizer, it gives you the option of also deleting from hard disk - just like Lightroom.

Hope this helps.
John
Thanks John. This really helps me. I never used the Bridge with CS2 or 3. I still have all my photos in the PSE5 organizer. So, if I bring them all into LR2 (4000+) would I delete the organizer or will it not matter. I never really use elements anymore but if I wanted a photo can it be imported from LR?

I can see there is a lot to learn about LR. Because I am starting with v2 I think I will benefit by taking a month of Kelby Training and starting from scratch. I have even been having trouble getting photos into LR from a disc on my notebook. Then getting them into a collection. It is much more complicated than Organizer but then the programme does so much more. Thanks for all your comments - they help me.
Shari
Shari,

Well, the short answer is yes you can, but the technical answer is you can’t import ANYTHING from Lightroom. Lightroom doesn’t contain any useful stuff that can be imported to anything else, except that if you are shooting RAW, you can have Lr record your edits in the XMP file so it will be available should you open the image in CS3 or Elements. (Edit, Catalog Settings, Metadata, check off Automatically write changes into XMP).

You can also do a right click on the image in the Develop Module, and edit it in Photoshop Elements. I think you may need to first do the following – Edit, Preferences, External Editing, Additional External Editor and choose Photoshop Elements . I still find that there are some things that are easier done still in Elements like Skin Tones.
John
9 posts Page 1 of 1