For those that have finally seen the light!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a new computer on the way and also LR2.
I have all of my images on an external drive connected thru our home network.
Since my crash, I have shot mostly in RAW so almost everything is in Bridge.
Now I understand LR will ask me if I want to import my images, correct?

So this will work for my current computer. (which is a laptop)
But I want all of my images on the new computer also.
If I have everything connected to the external drives before I do my install on the new system will it recognize the images and ask for that computer also????

Are will it only recognize the thumbnails from Bridge on my laptop?
I want to make sure I do things correctly. :roll:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
As I recall, LR1.0 did not ask to automatically import my photos when I installed it. I had to tell it to import the photos that were on my HD after installing. But when I upgraded to LR2 it automatically imported and converted the LR1.x catalog.

You can, however, set up a watched folder and LR will import anything that goes into them automatically. LR is not tied into Bridge in that it will look in there and import anything already in Bridge. My understanding is you can send photos back and forth between the two programs for editing, and any changes to a RAW file done in LR should show in Bridge as both programs can read the photo's .XMP or metadata. LR does remember any edits done to a file, although the changes are not done to the files themselves. They are simply an instruction set of applied changes that can be undone simply by hitting the reset button in the Develop Module. I don't use Bridge, though, so some of what I am telling you here may be incorrect in regards to it. I am sure I will be corrected if that is the case. :doh:

LR will automatically ask to import photos it sees when you attach your camera or card reader to your PC and you will be prompted as to where you want the files saved, naming, and even conversion options.

Now, if you are going to be working from two computers on shared files stored on networked drives or EHDs, you can have LR store it's catalog on a shared drive also so that no matter where you open LR2 from, you will always be working from the same one. This can be done from the General tab on the Edit -> Catalog Settings window and point it to your drive of choice. Otherwise, edits done on your laptop won't show up when you use LR on the PC.

And the same goes for backing up the catalog. You will be able to tell LR where to store that backup and if you're sharing LR on 2 computers, you probably will want to backup the catalog to the same place from both.

Just don't go 'round calling me an expert!!! :rotfl:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
oh Gene... I think the second part is just what I was hoping for.
and boy am I still confused. It will come together once I have to deal with it.

I don't like Bridge. I would love to disable it so nothing gets stored in there?

I do need only one catalog that I can access from both computers. One external backs up to another external automatically. I work in my office most of the time but I also like to bring my laptop to the living room and watch TV in the evenings with the family. Some of my best creative work is accomplished there. :P
Maybe it is the happy surroundings.

I am about to get totally stressed. Moving CS3 and all of my actions that live on my laptop and PSE5 with all of the extras I have installed there. Thank goodness my brushes are in a separate folder and I have already copied all my fonts to a jump drive. But the duplicating process may just do me in... :oops:

oh the joys of a new computer! :doh:
and I promise, if it comes in with Vista installed instead of XP like it should. Y'all will here me scream from here. :rotfl:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I have CS3 and have never even fired up Bridge. After the fun I had with the Organizer in PSE5, Bridge was never a temptation. Everything pretty much starts and ends with LR for me. :biggrin:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

I would have to agree! But my organizer wouldn't accept raw files so I was stuck with Bridge.
I really do hate it!

I am truly hoping LR2 is going to set me free....
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Just remember to breathe......everything else is relative.

I don't know about setting you free, that question sometimes invites other discussions, but LR2 should break the shackles of Bridge for you. It works for me, but you may find you end up liking Bridge better after all. I understand it has its own set of tricks and tools that people find quite useful. :puter:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

Kimi,

I think I have said this before - Bridge doesn't store anything. It is a file browser.

Lr doesn't store anything either. It is a catalog.

Both Bridge and Lr will enable a copy of images from wherever your camera to a file system on your computer or EHD.
John
:rotfl: John... you make me feel like a kid that doesn't understand. Because I do, to a point. :doh:
I get the entire concept, I am just not sure how to pull it off?

Hopefully things will go smoothly. Otherwise hubby will get home and find me sucking my thumb and cuddling a blanket. :bigwink:

I'm just worried, (I tend to be one of those people that over worry, my grandmother had it. Nothing I can do but live with it) I'm going to take Gene's advice.........................................and breathe.
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
8 posts Page 1 of 1