For those that have finally seen the light!
34 posts Page 3 of 4
WOW!

This is outstanding.

Great work Gene. :chickendance:
John
Thanks suzi!

Thank you John!
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
oh Gene... I just might be able to handle that. Thank you so very much for my 3rd grade instructions.
It was just what I needed!!! :woohoo:

I will give it a try tonight. :biggrin:

We are going to give in and go shopping for hurricane supplies. That darn thing still looks like it is coming straight for us. :oops:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I hope it helps you. When I got done with it I read it over and thought "man, I hope no one thinks I'm talking down to them here". It comes from dealing with "engineers" that don't know their right hands from their left. (there's another expression, but since this is supposed to be family friendly :o )

I just got done watching the news a little bit ago. It looks like that thing is heading straight for the western side of LA. I hope it fizzles out long before then! :pray:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

ok Gene... I am stuck on the first part.
It is telling me that I cannot create a catalog on my network drive. Do I need to create on my C: drive first?

here is my screen shot.
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi,

Just tried the same thing and got the same message on my Networked drive. Lr wont do it.

You may have to regress to a C: based (or local system based catalog) and images on your EHD.

This is kind of "out there" but manageable, just not seamlessly and easily. (Kind of Synonyms).

Working on it/ and or Gene may have an idea coming . . .
John
Bunner!

First test says no problem with networked or shated images, but have to have a local catalog.

Doable, but with huge problems with keeping the two required catalogs in sync.

Interesting, because when I last tested this in PSE5, it worked without problems. Now the more advanced Lr doesn't handle it. :evil: :evil:
John
I went ahead and set up my catalog on my C: drive.
Worked great and really didn't take that long. Pulled everything from Bridge. I don't ever have to go back. :biggrin:

But looking at LR, I have a whole hell of a lot to learn. ARK!!

EDIT: but this is on my laptop. I haven't even started setting things up on the new computer. :oops:
and I will need to get to the catalog from the desktop also. Now we have everything networked and I can find it if I have to but it will be a pain because that means I will have to have my laptop on.

I can't even figure out how to set up my widescreen monitor. Got so aggravated I turned the darn thing off and haven't turned it back on.
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Oh girl, it never occurred to me you were setting up a networked drive! Either that, or I just plain missed it. :crying:

I did some looking, and there is a solution, but its neither easy, or truly recommended. Reason being is it can be really easy to corrupt your LR database. I haven't studied the solution completely, but what I did get from it is that if you would have LR up on your PC and then decided to open it up on your laptop at the same time, is a sure way to corrupt it. Adobe will not provide support if this is implemented as it is not a supported configuration. This isn't something that Adobe broke on purpose. Rather its a drawback of the type of database it uses.

Here is a rather extensive tech tip on how to set it up.

This is turning in to a real adventure! :puter:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

Gene, Kimi:

I am looking for my compass and pith helmet. :rotfl:

I tried it out and it worked quickly and easily.

however I was also able to put it on a EHD without Lr complaining.

So, either route will work, but I must admit to being a little confused and it may be time to ask Kimi to be more detailed with what she has and how she wants to set it up.
John
34 posts Page 3 of 4