For those that have finally seen the light!
34 posts Page 4 of 4
I was able to make a catalog on an EHD also. I did it when I was writing up the instructions the other night and didn't have any problems with it and with importing some pictures into it. A networked drive never occurred to me, although it probably should have. That's a bit of a different animal.

Hmmmm......but I wonder if a shared EHD would work. In other words, if she hooks the EHD up to her desktop and shares it on the network, when she's on her laptop maybe she could still accomplish the same thing. The warning though would be she cannot have LR open at the same time on both machines as this might still corrupt her catalog. This is something I can try between mine and my wife's computers. Will give that a try and get back to you on that one.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
It doesn't look like that will work either. LR still sees my wife's computer as a networked device (essentially it is) and will not allow me to put a catalog there without doing the workaround.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Just checking in.... Glad y'all are still working out my bugs. :biggrin:

Our entire house is networked. I have two externals. The main one I work off of and the one it automatically backs up to. They are both shared on the network. So is my laptop and the new computer will be eventually.

Ideally, I wanted my catalog to be seen if I was on either one.
The way we have it set up now is. The externals are connected to the desktop. So it must be turned on for me to access them on my laptop. I have never worked on the old desktop. Only off of my laptop.

So I gave the old desktop to my 17year old and bought the new desktop to work on.
It is supposed to be super fast and then I got a 22 in widescreen monitor, thinking it would be easier to work my pictures.

If it ends up I have to pick one are the other? I guess I would put it on the new desktop.
Which would mean an uninstall from the laptop.
I have lived with everything shared for so long, I didn't think it would not be possible to access from either computer. :oops:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
As long as you have all of your photos and the catalog on the same EHD, shouldn't be a problem.

You can also consider getting a networkable EHD - connects via its own Internet connection - and adding it to your router. That way, the desktop doesn't have to be turned on to get at your images.

This in conjunction with the SUBST suggestion from Gene will work and get you going easily.

Let us know what you decide.
John
34 posts Page 4 of 4