For those that have finally seen the light!
15 posts Page 2 of 2
I agree with Chuck in that Scott's books can be somewhat light on detail. I think he gears them more to getting you actually working and doing things rather than trying to completely understand all the why's behind it. And I will admit that there are times that I don't care that much about the why's - I just want to know how to move my photo from where it is to where I want it to be.

But some of that is changing and I am beginning to wonder if understanding the why's may help me do a better job and apply effects and changes that I am not doing now simply because I just don't think of them. Which brings me to my question: I have been thinking lately about joining NAPP. A couple of reasons, not the least of which is I would like a more thorough understanding of CS3 (at least the parts of it that I am using) so I can take my adjustments to the next level and be a bit more consistent at times in what I am doing. I know some of you belong to NAPP. Does the NAPP training they offer compare to Scott's methods in his books, or does it delve deeper into the nuts and bolts of what you are doing and why? Or would I be better off with a much more detailed book?

Thanks.....
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
G_OReilly wrote:
Chuck_S wrote: I don't like Kelby's books - too much 'white space' on the pages, not enough in-depth info for me. That's just a personal thing with me; not applicable to everyone! :D

I'll probably opt for Martin Evening's book and perhaps Mikkel Aaland's update to his "Photoshop Lightroom Adventure".

Chuck: Are these 2 books based on "Lightroom 2..?

p.s. I agree with you on the above...so that makes 2 of us so far :toast:

George

George, it appears that both books have been updated for Lightroom 2. The $64 question (literally - that's about what the sum of the two books would be!): is there enough new material in the Lightroom 2 version to justify the purchase? I have both for LR1, and I'm trying to be smarter about book-buying; I have a shelf full of books for old/obsolete versions of Elements and Photoshop.... :o
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Chuck: I agree with you again :biggrin: I too have a collection of books (old versions) Ibought a book for "Lightroom" but it was for the old version 1...now they have come out with Lightroom 2 of course I returned the other book and got Photoshop Lightroom 2 by Rob Sheppard...not bad and the price was right. :thumbsup:

Also Gene had mentioned about joining NAPP !!! Is it worth it or do we just keep buying books. :thanks:

George
"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle."James Kelly
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19724 George's Gallery
G_OReilly wrote: Chuck:
Also Gene had mentioned about joining NAPP !!! Is it worth it or do we just keep buying books. :thanks:

George

George and Gene: I'm a NAPP member, but I haven't availed myself of any of their training materials or courses to date. Just been too busy..... :crying: About all I've done with NAPP so far is make use of their discounts, especially the free shipping from B&H when accessed through the NAPP website. One of these days..... :roll:
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
I agree with Chuck but some many times I just want a quick answer or a lead and Kelby give me that. When I want total undestanding of the subject I read Mastin Evenings books.

Gene, as to joining NAPP, I have my reservations for they jump un the next Photoshop version and seems to forget the previous one. After all, this is a money making machine for them. I prefer to buy a video by Photoshop Cafe and a book on a particular program than to join NAPP.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
15 posts Page 2 of 2