For those that have finally seen the light!
28 posts Page 3 of 3
Do you have CS3? I don't know if that option is there for elements but you could do a workaround. What I do is make several virtual copies in LR. Apply a different look to each one, then right click. A new box comes up and I go edit in CS3. At the very bottom is export as layers. That is what I use. Then I use blend modes and layers masks. In elements you can open them all and then just drag the copies onto your layer palette. Then you can use like I did.

On the scenic, I used 2 virtual copies and the orginal. One copy was done with a IR preset and the other I changed the WB to tungsten. Then masked back in what I want to show. It is pretty cool and lots of fun to play with. Give it a try!!!!
Oh, I got you.......no, I only have Elements. I used that same feature the other day, though, to create a virtual copy of a picture and then applied a filter to it that was quite dark.......wanted to lighten it up some so took that and another plain copy to Elements and worked magic on it there. Takes me a while, Suzi. :D I also just downloaded the plugins for Facebook and Picasa.........cool.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
One thing we could try in this challenge, even with Elements. It is possible to make the most of the ACR conversion and 16 bits editing in Elements to deal with difficult highlights, shadows, risks of posterization and mixing of sources of lighting of different colour temperature. Producing different files for different parts of the picture, editing them in 16 bits before converting to 8 bits, you should get excellent stuff to turn to layers and combine with masks and blend modes.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I haven’t had a chance to play with these images yet – hopefully this weekend – but I am excited to see the rules being broken. When the challenge started off, a number of players said they didn’t want to play because it was too restrictive.

Some images simply call out for additional treatment, and quite rightly, we are doing it.

My objective is to use Lr to do as much as I can to drive the image to where I want it to be. Sometimes that is simple exposure adjustments, sometimes the Hue and Saturation adjustments, sometimes the presets and sometimes off to CS3 for treatment!

For me it is more about challenging us to learn how to use the tool and having fun with the image! :chickendance: :chickendance:
John
I'm with you, Michel and John. :D Maybe it'll get more people to play, too. Like now, folks, come play@!!
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
An example of mixing two different ACR conversions:
sarch99_3095_B.jpg
sarch99_3095_B.jpg (224.6 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

a 100% crop:
sarch99_3095_C2w.jpg
sarch99_3095_C2w.jpg (218.38 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

(edited, the first crop was not 100%...)
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
Looks old and rusty, Michel. :) Have you ever downloaded Lightroom to try it out? I bet you'd have fun with it.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
sarch99 wrote: Looks old and rusty, Michel. :) Have you ever downloaded Lightroom to try it out? I bet you'd have fun with it.

To separate sky and highlights from shadows, I used a simple gradient map to mask shadows. I denoised the highlights (in PSE6) and added saturation, contrast and quite a bit of noise in the shadows.
My first try at LR, long ago, ended with a crash of the trial version, and I was not able to recover. I am more than tempted to use LR2, but I think I'll have to add some RAM and diskspace before.
Michel B

Mes Galeries
28 posts Page 3 of 3