For those that have finally seen the light!
12 posts Page 2 of 2
OK...did a little looking and here is what I found. In Windows for ACR 4.6 in CS3, the Camera Raw.8bi file needs to go here:

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Here is the link to the instructions for installing ACR 4.6.

Installing ACR 5.1 for CS4 (it is not compatible with CS3) is a little different and depends on whether you are using the 64 bit version of CS4:

To install with Adobe Creative Suite 4 or Photoshop CS4:

Automated installation on Mac or Windows®:

1. Select "Updates..." from the Help menu
2. Follow the on-screen dialogs to download and install the latest available Camera Raw update

Manual installation on Windows®:

1. Exit Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Bridge.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop CS4 or Adobe Bridge.

Manual 64-bit installation on Windows®:

If you are using Photoshop CS4 as a 64-bit application, you can use the Adobe Update Manager to install Camera Raw 5.1. If a manual update of the plug-in is required, please install the Camera Raw plug-in in two locations:
a. The CameraRaw.8bi found at the top level of the zip folder should be placed in the following directory:

Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

b. The CameraRaw.8bi found in the folder labeled 64-bit should be placed in the following directory:

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

And those instructions can be found here for ACR 5.1 and CS4.

Now, I wonder how I managed to get an extra copy of it installed in my CS3???? :o

So I removed the extra copy and opened CS3 and a RAW file, and it appears to be working correctly. Interesting..... :|
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Whew, that is the only place I have it, so guess I am good to go. I wanted to do the camera profile beta and wanted to make sure I had the latest version of ACR. Thanks guys for all your help. You are the best!!!!
12 posts Page 2 of 2