For those that have finally seen the light!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
I got a message from Lightroom that the C drive that houses my light room backup or files, is getting full. I have a 1000 GB hard drive ( 2- 500 GB) and I am only using 202 Gb of it and it is not full and I have memory enough.
It said I need to clear something, but am not at all certain what I am suppose to clear out?

I notice I have 2 Lightroom catalogs.
Lightroom catalog and Lightroom 2 catalog I also have 2 Lightroom catalog previews. Do I need both?
I assume this is from having had Lightroom 1 installed and now I have Lightroom 2 installed. Each of these files is running about 80 GB. One file Lightroom Backup is 1.52GB.

I looked in the book on Lightroom I have and could not find an answer as to what I need to do?

Any suggestions welcome.
[url]http://www.sheilascorner.com/photography.html[/url]
I'm thinking you might need to clear your cache of 1:1 previews.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Thank you. I will try that.
How do I do that?
Try this: Preferences>General>Go to Catalog Settings". Then choose "File Handling>Automatically Discard 1:1 Previews" and change it to 1 day. Then restart.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
First...2 500G drives does not make a 1000G drive. Unless you're running a striped RAID configuration. You still have 2 500G drives and each one is subject to its own capacity limits. With that said, if you are only using about 200G on one of them, that drive is hardly getting full yet. I would not be concerned about one of them getting full until it has less than 20% disk space free. This goes for both drives individually, not together.

To check your remaining free space, left click My Computer, then click Manage. This opens a window called Computer Management. In that window, click Disk Management under the Storage section. This will bring up all you HD's, including EHDs if you have any, and it will show you disk capacity, used space, and the percentage of free space still available on each disk. If you right click a particular disk and pick Properties, the window that pops up will give you a bit more detail about that disk. There is also a button labeled Disk Cleanup. This will search the disk for files that can possibly be removed to increase available disk space. I just ran that on my C: drive (I hadn't done it in awhile) and it found 9.7G worth of files that I could delete.

I run my LR2 backups to an external drive and have it backup once a day, generally the first time that day that I open LR2. Each backup creates a dated folder inside the main folder for my LR backups. I have monitored these folders over time and find that generally, the next day's backup file ends up being larger than the previous day's files, assuming I have done some photo work. This leads me to believe that these are full backups and not sequential, where only what is done the previous day gets backed up. These backups can get quite large. Currently I have 5 days' worth of backups and the total disk space consumed is 3.5G. At one point, my backups were over 100G, I had so many. Personally, I only keep that last several days of backups and clean my main backup folder out fairly regularly.

If you have multiple LR2 catalogs, you would want to back up each one individually.

And if you have LR1 backups and are only using LR2, you can get rid of the LR1 backups. LR2 converted the LR1 catalog to LR2 format when you installed it and those have not been touched by LR since then.

Hope this helps!
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Thank you to all for all the suggestions.
I cleared the cache of previews and then restarted.
I deleted the Lightroom 1 catalog. I downsized the number of backups and took off all the Lightroom 1 backups I still had.
I also decided to put my Lightroom 2 backup on my (external) personal media hard drive. I only backup the catalog once a week. I had been wondering if I needed to keep all those. It seemed they would not be correct if I ever tried to use one. I agree it appears the backup catalogs are each one a new one not just additional.

Things seem to be working fine now and I have received no new messages from Lightroom 2. :cheer2:
6 posts Page 1 of 1