For those that have finally seen the light!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a book and still can't figure this out. It keeps coming up as the date.
I want to be able to do a custom name.

I can put a custom name at the bottom but the top input is still the date. Can someone tell me what I need to do? And... if I do a rename, will everything still be connected? :oops:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Your question isn't very clear. Bottom of what, top of what? Are you in the catalog view? Are you talking about naming your folders, your pictures or both? And, as long as you do your renaming in Lightroom, your pictures should stay connected.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
sorry... when I am inputting them into LR. I get a screen that shows it will go in by date.
Under that option I also have a box that says custom. There I can put a name. But everything still comes up by date. It didn't used to be that way with my beta version. I used to be able to name my images before I imported them.
I wonder if I'm still not clear?

It is on the first screen when importing.

Or better yet... how do you import up so your folders have names?
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Let's see if I can answer this in a way that makes sense:

1. Choose the import you want to do, either from disk or device. For my example, I'm going to use from disk.

2. Choose your File Handling: In my case, I want to move photos to a new location and add to catalog. Directly under that is "Move to: where you can choose the folder you want your pictures added to. In my case, it's My Pictures.

3. Next, choose Organization: In my case, I want it "Into one Folder."

Then, check "Put in subfolder;" and type the name of the folder you want created.

After you've done that, move to the middle of the page and choose your file naming scheme from the Template. If you choose Custom, another box will open for your Custom Text, etc.

If this isn't what you want, just holler.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Kimi, I suggest select in to one foulder that way it is a lot easier to remember where the pictures are. I will also suggest you get Kelby book on LR2, there he explain every thing in layman terms than even me can undestand it. :D Now kelby will give you the instruction to make a custom picture naming system that I use and is very siple to apply you even get to put your copyright symbol on every picture mettadata. I'am not at my studio so I can't help for now.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Don't know if this is exactly what you're asking but this is how I import my images into LR.

I use a folder hierarchy for organizing my pictures, something like this:
My Pictures
-> 2009 Pictures
--> 01 January
---> <Date> <Event>
----> Folders for DNG, TIFF, and JPG
(I know, it will sound like overkill to some, but it works for me. I tend to be detail oriented in most everything I do. Drives my DW absolutely nuts some days, but she still loves me!)

In the Library module you can create folders by right clicking the folder you want to create a new folder in, pick "Create Folder Inside xxx", name your new folder, then hit create. This not only creates a new folder in the LR view, but also on the hard drive. To me, this beats creating the folders using Windows Explorer, importing or copying pictures into them, then doing an import from LR. LR also "sees" the empty folders when created this way. If you create them in Windows Explorer, LR won't see them until you do an import.

Once I have created a destination folder, I connect my card reader and card, then click Import in LR2.

1. Once you've picked where your importing from, the next window has all your options. Working from the top to the bottom, your first choice is File Handling. Here you tell LR to either just "Copy photos to new location and add to catalog" or "Copy photos as DNG to new location and add to catalog". LR does not have a move option, which would erase the files from your memory card. It leaves this up to you once you have copied and hopefully backed up your files.

2. Next is Copy To: with a CHOOSE button off to the right. (The stuff in the middle is the last folder string of your last import and changes every time you make a new choice.) When I do this, I navigate to the new folder I created in LR before I started the import process.

3. Next is Organize, with a drop down. You can either Organize "into one folder", or there are several date options in this drop down. If you use one of the date choices, this will create a dated folder inside the folder you chose in step 2! f you choose the "into one folder" option, LR just copies the files into the folder you picked from step 2 above. No new folders are created here.

4. Next is "Put in Subfolder". I generally leave this blank because I have already created and chosen the folder I want my pics to go into. However, if your Step 2 folder will always be the same and you want to create a subfolder within that folder, check this button and put a name in the box. LR will then create your subfolder and import the pictures based on your choice in step 3.

The next three boxes should be self-explanatory.

5. File Naming: to the right is the last file name you used on your last import. Click the Template drop down, and here you are given a bunch of options. I generally only use 2: Filename which keeps the original name as generated by your camera, or Edit, which allows you to name them anything you want, with options for automatic dates, file numbering, etc. This is the one I generally use. Caution here: if your last import you used a custom file name and you forget to change it here on the current import, your new files will be named the same as your last imported files were. I have forgotten to do this before!!!

6. Information to apply. Here you can have LR apply import presets (including processing) along with metadata presets, keywords, and Preview settings.

I think that pretty much covers it. Seems like a lot, but once you get the hang of it you'll find it's not difficult at all. :puter:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
6 posts Page 1 of 1