For those that have finally seen the light!
13 posts Page 2 of 2
Suggestion about color casts from reflections of walls/ceiling/floor:

Generally, you'll have few absolute references to colors or even pure grays. I know the tricks about finding neutral greys in the picture... which may not be greys in reality. That's when a shot of a grey card might be useful. Even that is not a really safe solution. Unlike correcting the lighting source white balance, the greycard will catch the cast differently depending on its orientation relative to the cast source. Finally, you'll have to trust your own eyes, and generally you never can get a global correction without masking.

Disclaimer: depending on one's own eyes... and taste. I must admit I don't find anything really wrong with the original picture cast, so here are a few guidelines to achieve your own correction according to your taste.

- Skin tones may be the only absolute color reference: that's why the best tool in PSE6 may be the 'adjust color for skin tones' which also includes a white balance slider. With a mask for skin tones, you can adjust separately on two layers.
- The option to remove color cast is excellent if the cast is general, not limited to some parts of the pictures. Masking may also be necessary.
- while ACR may be the finest approach to correcting a general color cast, it is generally necessary to work on separate layers with masks in PSE afterwards.
- For color masking, have a look at my tutorial at the color range replacement. It is a powerful tool to create a mask based on color (hue + saturation without lighness)
- Until recently, I ignored totally the 'quick edit' option of elements, thinking it was only for beginners. It has all the necessary tools for color cast
- Think about other ways to correct color casts: very often, use color contrast by masking. In this particular instance, without correcting skin tones, you can make them appear 'normal' by increasing the orange in the floor; I also would leave some orange cast on the parts of the limbs next to the floor. On the contrary, if you over correct the background making it 'cooler', you increase the 'orange' look of the skin.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Gene, thank you so much for that explanation. I am copying and pasting it into my notebook, it is going to be so helpful.
I took a gray card to the match and did a custom WB setting but didn't like it. I did the setting on the sidelines of the gym floor but when I took pics around the mats I didn't like the results. I ended up using Tungsten.
13 posts Page 2 of 2